First post, hi all. When i go out on runs i find it hard to pace myself. I end up speeding up and getting tired early on. I have to constantly think about slowing down and that almost seems to make me tired also, having to keep thinking about not going fast. When i stop thinking about slowing down, I go right back to a quicker pace. Also, it seems like my body is fighting itself, part of it wants to go faster and the other is trying to hold back. I cant find a happy medium. Sounds a little odd, but does this make any sense? Anyone have any tips on pace?

Oh great. The Posse is growing and the Hotlanta group is groing.

Seriously, Welcome!! :wavey:

I have a similar problem. On today's run, I went out and within a 1/8 mile, I was running at 70-75% of my max speed. If you run on or close to a sidewalk, you could watch the cracks in the sidewalk and plan one foot per square (or something similar). Or use it like a fartlek workout.

How about a running partner? The guys I normally run with are 1.5-2 minutes slower then me so I have to go slow to stay back with them.

Yea a partner would be nice. The girl i used to run with went a little slower than me, and those were always the best runs, when i could go the farthest and seem to have felt better at the end. Or maybe it was the fear of showing weakness that kept me going. Whatever it was it worked out great for me having to keep pace with her. If i could find someone that would force me to go slower thatd be nice. But as far as counting time with sidewalk lines, thats too much for me to handle. I guess ill have to mentally keep track of myself until my body just adapts to the new pace and does it without thinking. That can eventually occur, right?

One thing to keep in mind is to not discount speed. As elitest as it might sound, running faster is a whole lot more fun. With logging miles week after week, your endurance will grow and you'll be able to keep that faster pace for longer runs. I've always been one to train "too fast" according to popular opinion. But I think it serves me well in being able to race that much faster.

Are you training for any specific distance?

One thing which helped me was to watch my stride pattern. I usually go 1-2-3-4(inhale)-5-6-7-8(exhale)and the back. I kinda know from the speed of counting, in terms of my pace. I found that if you keep the 1 to 8 count going in a reasonable pace, I was watch my overall pace. It is amlost like a divide and conquer thing. This is completely arbitrary and i came up with this when I was watcing a cheerleading movie called Bring it on 8O (blame it on my girlfriend) .