I have to strengthen my muscles because often have back pain. I am tall and have bad posture. I am not sure which one is better, swimming or running? I’m 23, female. I am thin and absolutely do not need to lose on weight.

I think that swimming is better for strengthening of muscles. Actually I think that it is healthier and honestly I prefer swimming than running. If you have problems with posture and back pain, than you need to talk to physiatrist. You should get proper exercises that wouldn’t harm you even more. I think that pilates, yoga and swimming are better solution that fitness or running.

Swimming is much more beneficial. I go swimming for 1 hour twice a week and since I've started doing it I have been far healthier than I was before!

Swimming will increase strength core stabilization muscles. It will dramatically correct poor posture.

swimming have much advantages than running, always try to have a good whenever you can it will bring down most of your illness, water is very good to ourselves

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

it is a strongly accepted idea that swimming burns the fat in your body and also helps smaller children to be tall and to be physically fit, swimming is a great exercise to the human body, i prefer a swim more than a run because you don't sweat or show the tiredness in swimming

Swimming would be much better, as swimming develops core stability very well. I have recently started running often and I find that my posture is becoming worse, as I tend to hunch my shoulders when I am running. Swimming is a good sport as it is very flexible, and very relaxing, so it is easy to stop and take a breath. However, you should avoid doing the butterfly stroke as that could injure your already bad back.

I used to swim a lot years ago but drifted away from it due to work reasons.Now that I,m retired I decided to get back into it again. When I began I could manage only two lengths of the 25 m pool,but I kept at it,and have now reached the point where I can do 72 lengths twice a week. Since I am 72 years young, I consider that this is not too bad,it is more than I could do when I was younger!

So I say to you, yes take up swimming by all means,take it at your own pace,forget about the fast showoffs .Try to do a few more lengths each time you go, and you will be surprised how easy it will become and how much you will enjoy it. You will also be surprised at how much better you will look and feel.

Swimming will put less stress on your body and helptone up your muscles.

Once you recover from your bad back, you should work on building strength on your back and abs. No crunches. They'll aggrevate your back and neck.

There are a number of other exercises that you can do. Start slowly. Working with the stability ball is great strengthening for your core and will still work on toning your arms and legs.

Yoga is also really good on helping your back. Just be sure to have the instructor watch you while you do the different poses to make sure you're not overextending yourself and that you're doing them correctly. Yoga has really helped my back.

Be Healthy,
Renee'

72 year old and 72 lengths in 25m pool. This is really impressive. Congratulations on your strength because this is something to be proud of.

Thanks very much DARK RED .Took me a while to get this far, but just goes to show it can be done! Never felt better and hope I can keep it up for a lot longer. Dont mind the fast guys, let them at it! I,m still going strong when they,re finished. Hell what,s the hurry?. I hope to get up to 96 lengths [1.5 miles], just might take a mite longer to get there, but like I say what,s the the hurry? It,s one thing I really enjoy doing and thats what its all about. If you like it, do it, you wont regret it Thanks again, nice to know I,m not regarded as a crazy old sod!!

regards

gizo. :-D

Great Job!

Well I hope that you will succeed in your goal. Just keep up the good work.
I wonder do you do any other exercises or just pool?

Hi Dark Red,No I dont really take any other exercise ,I,d sure like to be able to walk a lot more like I use to do years ago but I find I just cannot do it any more.Trouble with my back, which seems to affect a lot of things. Swimming is one of the few things I can manage.I still d a bit of gardening ,put in some time in my workshop, do a few odd jobs for friends ect, any thing to keep busy. I think once you stop, you stop! My doc says he hopes to see me around for another ten years or more,I said "why not, you look healthy enough to me ". He said "get lost, come when you get sick ". I think it depends a lot on the way you look at things, my mom lived to be ninety five, active to this end I,d sure hate to break the record. besides there are loads of things I,d love to try while I,m still around.

If this has been of any help to any others, great! If you know you can do something dont bother,,If you think you just might be able to do it, why yes give it a try, you might be more than surprised!,I sure was. Hope I did not ramble on to much, you know what us old sods are like once we start. Again thanks for your kind words.

Regards
Gizo. :-D

Swimming is good for you. Running is more to tone up your lower part...