Since I know that this is the place where many experienced cyclists and runners come, I’d like to ask for just a little help. I need to decide whether to start training running or cycling. What would you suggest me to take up? I need an activity that’ll keep me in good shape. I don’t want to exhaust too much and I don’t need to be all muscles. I must admit that I’m more inclined to cycling. Let’s hear pros and cons.

There are no exact pros and cons. It’s only a matter of your preference. Some people like running and they enjoy it while others find it boring and very exhausting. Cycling is regarded as a leisure activity and many people don’t even know how to cycle properly. They think that it’s enough to take a relaxed, slow ride through the park and expect instant results. Cycling is a very demanding activity, and it can be as exhausting as running. Both these activities are excellent for maintaining body fitness and general health. Cycling is especially healthy for heart, if it’s practiced properly, of course. There are no cons in this case, because I believe that it’s better to practice any activity than sit at home in front of your TV.

Running at the same effort will burn more calories and do more for your cardiovascular system. Every step you take jars your joints.

Cycling doesn't have near the impact on your body, but you can rev up and get a great workout. You can tighten up your arms to get more of a workout cycling.

All being said, I like running more than cycling.

Doug