Hi! Two weeks ago I have developed some weird small bumps on my upper lip. I actually don’t know if they were present before, the thing is that I accidentally noticed them when picking my face in front of a mirror. I left them alone and watched for every day for the last two weeks and they haven’t moved, changed nor disappeared during this time. There are a lot of them, they can’t be squeezed and look like some spots under the lip surface. They are situated in the middle of the upper lip and can be seen only when I move my lips upward. What could this be and is it dangerous?

By going through your symptoms, I recognized Fordyce spots of the lip. I also have them, so does my boyfriend and I though they were contagious. Then I saw a dermatologist who had a look at them and told me that these are small sebaceous glands and that they are perfectly safe and not transmittable at all. Sometimes they form as bigger bumps and may appear at the corner of the mouth but are still not dangerous and don’t need any special treatment. It is quite possible you had them before you just didn’t pay attention to it. It is said they form during birth but are just not that visible at first. I heard about the treatment is a person can’t cope with the looks of these harmless little bumps. It is called superficial carbon dioxide laser ablation.