I have white bumps on the corners of my lips. They spread to my entire lips and my lips are sore. The pigmentation of my lips appears to be fading as well. What could this be?

I think the bumps you have are actually Fordyce spots, the spreading white papules on your lips. They can cause anxiety but are completely harmless and are not infectious.
They can be treated with superficial carbon dioxide laser ablation.
You know I myself once had similar white little papules under the lip skin, but somehow they just faded away. I never found out what was the cause for that, it lasted for a few weeks and simply went away. But if it happens again I would certainly visit the dermatologist or some specialist for this kind of a thing.
I think what you think is the pigmentation fading away is due to appearance of these little papules which are white in greater and greater numbers so now your lips seem to be more white and pale than pinkish and natural.
If you have some further concerns about what is happening with your lips, I would suggest you to ask for a professional help. Until it’s seen it cannot be diagnosed.

Hi there,
I am new here. I am suffering from the same problem. Since last two weeks i have small rash/ pappules on my lips. First it was very negligible and on upper lip. Later on it spred vigorously and it is now all over my both lips. Now my lips are red, sore, inflammed and painful. There are small clusters of pappules on them. They are not wet just minute bumps, but very irritating. Currently i am using avino lip bam but it is not working. it is very disturbing and irritating for me. I wonder if it caused by sunburn or what. Actually i wondered two three days in hot sun. But i am at home only from last 15 days . I dont know.
Please help. I dont have insurance so can not take professional help.
Thank you.

I have Fordyce spots on my upper lip now, too, and I just realized what I think is the cause. I've developed the spots about 3 weeks ago, which is about 1 week after I started using Proactiv. The active ingredient of Proactiv is benzyl peroxide. As this is the only change I made at the time of getting the Fordyce spots, I can fairly confidently say that benzyl peroxide does something (i.e. dry out the skin or otherwise affect the glands) to produce Fordyce spots. Hope this helps!

Thank you cro80 .I also had the same symptoms and relized my girlgriend just bought a new face wash after reading your post . Guess what was in it 10% benzyl peroxide.

I've had these tiny white bumps all over my lips, not raised, but under the skin. The entire pigmentation of my lips has turned from brown (I am African American) to very light pink. It has also spread to the corners of my mouth. I've been to 2 dermatologists. The first one said he didn't think it was vitaligo (which I feared), but wanted to treat it by injecting each little liny white bump with something. He said my lips would scab over and be irritated for 3-4 days, but the pigment might return. I went for a 2nd opinion and the 2nd doctor is treating it with cortisol topical gel cream. He wants me to apply once a day for 6 weeks then return. He seems to think it will help my skin return to normal. I am hopeful.

Its crazy that you say benzoil peroxide may some how be linked because when i started to notice my fordyce i began to use topical cream wich contained it . So my question is if i stop using benzoil will they dissaper? guess im going to find out .

I see it's been more than a year since you posted this, but I was wondering if you found the cause and solution to your symptoms as I am suffering with the same right now. It's getting worse and more painful as the days progress. On an oral steroid to suppress symptoms, but not working. Any input would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, Guest,

I am experiencing the the same thing as you for the last 6 months. I went to a Dermatologist who prescribed an ointment as well, he also didn't think it was Vitaligo. Unfortunately, the ointment has not work. I have been all over the internet looking for answers and help. I just happen to stumble on to this website. Have you had any success with any treatments? If so, can you please share them with me? I am desperately in need of help.

How do you get rid of them?

how do you get rid of them? The small white bumps in corner lips?

I have had them ever since I can remember. When I was a teen, I noticed them on the corners. They are deep under the skin but at times, when it seems flared or further through the lips, I can usually get a couple to open up by holding a hot wash cloth on it and slightly squeezing. Its like they are small pimples. That gets rid of the larger ones, of course irritated at first, but quickly heals. They are really only noticeable to me, thank God. But still bothersome to me at times, cosmetically. I always make sure I wash everyday but aside that, nothing else I can do.eh

I get them when I get sunburned.

Starting to think it's the hydrogen peroxide I rinse my mouth with it every night :0