I just started taking insulin and I am freaking out now about catching a disease from it! Can a person contract swine flu from animal insulin?  Someone told me that comes from animals, and I looked it up and  they really do use the insulin from pigs and cows to make up injectable insulin!  I don't want to contract swine flu from taking insulin from livestock.  I am wondering if it could transfer from the pig to its pancreas and get into us by putting its insulin in our blood system!  I think I will ask the doctor if I can have insulin made synthetically instead.  I don't want to take any risks!

Hi Guest,

Where do you live?

In the US, insulin does not come from animals, it is genetically engineered, usually made by bacteria.

Yeah, the beef insulin has been discontinued a long time ago and swine is used in other parts of the world. I believe the US only uses synthetically made insulin that mimics human insulin. I don't think there is a need to worry about getting swine flu anyway since the virus wouldn't pass through to a pig's pancreas if it had it. And I would imagine it would be tested for swine flu before it had insulin extracted from it, right?