Hi! Are there others who are trying very hard to avoid processed foods, and who are making as much as possible from scratch? My latest obsession is to try and ground herbs myself to add to dishes and dressings. What herbs do you think are ideal for grounding? I'd like to hear your ideas!

Anything you can buy in ground form, you can also do yourself, I suppose. Think nutmeg, cinnamon, nuts, rosemary, pepper, anything basically. Some of these can be done quite effectively in a simple food processor, while others, like cinnamon, would most definitely challenge even the best food processors. Perhaps those are best approached by hand.

Thank you for replying. Did you try grounding any of the herbs and other foods that you mentioned in your post and would you give some guidelines on how long to put them into the food processor, and tell people about anything else you do to the herbs? That would be very useful.

I recommend planting a herb garden.... to try different items... When you plant an herb garden, you can either start from seeds or get small plants from your garden center. The garden center plants will give a better chance of achieving success in the herb garden. When using seeds, plan ahead because the seeds may need to grow for several months before they are ready to plant into the herb garden. Especially if you are a beginner, I would recommend using the small plants from the garden center.