I'm 16 and vacationing in Ireland. Recently I visited a garden full of various poisonous plants and for the following days I've been itching like crazy. My whole body itches and there are small bug bite like bumps too (I know they aren't because the bugs don't bite here, atleast mot this much). There are also a few small red dots about a milimeter in diameter on my arms. Anyway I'm not too worried I would just like to know what it is and how to get rid of it.

The reason why they call them "poisonous" is because they kill or make animals sick. But for humans it is an irritant, and our hystemines go into overdrive when we are "attacked" IF it is bothering you, you can take Benadryl also good old Calamine Lotion or Apple Cider Vinegar will help with the spots and the itch! Thank God you didn't touch nettles! I remember falling into a ditch of nettles - I was SO sick from all the spots and the itching - my eyes were sealed shut! So just know that the old methods of taking care of this work FAR better than the new stuff! And hope you trip was at least worth it?! ;-D Good luck and health!

What you describe could very well be bug bites, although they do some somewhat small.  Contact with a variety of plants can cause an allergic contact dermatitis, which usually takes about 3-10 days to develop if you have not been exposed to these plants previously.  If you have, the reaction may be faster.

Contact dermatitis from plants usually occurs on body surfaces that have touched the plant, so the rash usually looks linear red streaks, possibly with some small blisters.  The classic example of this is poison ivy dermatitis.

Either bug bites or contact dermatitis can be treated with applications of hydrocortisone that you can get over the counter.  Calamine lotion can also be used to dry up the areas.  If the spots you have continue increasing in size or become painful or have pus, please consult a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Disclaimer: Dr. Emily Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom provides the content on this website solely for informational and educational purposes. Information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice and is not a substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Communications to or from Dr. Altman and Advanced Skin Wisdom and any person will not be considered to establish a patient/doctor relationship.