I have a question because I have been reading about Primrose plant, and there are things I cannot understand. I have read that an infusion of the flowers was formerly considered excellent against nervous hysterical disorders. Now I am not sure if I should believe some plant could do such a thing. That is why I would like you to tell me more about this plant.

The whole herbs of Primrose are used fresh, and in bloom, and the rootstock, or so-called root, which should be dried. The Primrose roots of two or three-year-old plants are used dug in autumn. Before usage, the roots must be thoroughly cleansed in cold water with a brush. It should be done allowing them to remain in water as short a time as possible. All smaller fibers should be trimmed off, while large roots may be split lengthwise to facilitate drying. However, as a rule this will not be necessary with Primrose root. Both the root and flowers of the Primrose contain a fragrant oil and Primulin. This ingredient is identical with Mannite, whilst the somewhat acrid active principle is Saponin. This plant is considered antispasmodic, vermifuge, emetic, and astringent. In the early medicine days, the Primrose plant was considered an important remedy in muscular rheumatism, paralysis and gout. You should also know that the whole plant is sedative and in modern days, a tincture of the fresh plant in bloom has been used with success in extreme sensitiveness, restlessness and insomnia. The whole Primrose plant has somewhat expectorant qualities.