Perhaps my questions are a bit premature as I have only just found out I am pregnant, but I hope you will help me get answers any way. I really want to have a go at breastfeeding but I have heard that it can be painful, and sometimes very difficult for mom and baby. I do think the benefits for breastfed babies are such that I don't want to not give this gift to my baby, though. So who is the person at the hospital who can I ask about breastfeeding? I could perhaps learn all about it before the birth in preparation, and to avoid problems later on.

Your question isn't premature at all! It is never too early to learn all about how to do the best thing for your baby! There are lactation consults in the hospital, and I am sure that they could help you answer any questions that you may have. If you are interested in learning from a non-hospital source, I do recommend you visit the La Leche League website and see about local chapters, if you are in the USA. I am sure there are similar organizations in other countries as well.