Firstly, sorry because my english is very bad, but I hope that you will understand me. I'm using subutex and I have baby whose old 2 months. Can I breast feeding? If I can't how long subutex stay in body, and after how many days I can begin with lactation? I really want to breast feeding my baby, but I don't know is it safe for her? I'm using daily 2 mg subutex.

Maria wrote:

Firstly, sorry because my english is very bad, but I hope that you will understand me. I'm using subutex and I have baby whose old 2 months. Can I breast feeding? If I can't how long subutex stay in body, and after how many days I can begin with lactation? I really want to breast feeding my baby, but I don't know is it safe for her? I'm using daily 2 mg subutex.[/

actually subutex is safe for u and the baby i am pregnant and my doctor switched me from Suboxen to subutex.

? I am still confused about these subutex. I too just got prescribe them...a switch from suboxone. The doctor that prescribed them to me told me that it is totally safe to breastfeed, BUT my old doctor that was prescribing me the suboxone told me that it is NOT safe. I have been doing a little research today and so far...my suboxone doctor was right. It is NOT okay to breastfeed while on subutex because it passes through the milk and because it passes through the milk, the baby is still getting a little bit of that subutex. From what I have learned, the baby will go through a slight withdrawl for the first few days after it is born because of the subutex you take, but if you breastfeed, you are still giving the baby the subutex and when you stop breastfeeding, the baby will go through the withdrawl....better for the baby to go through the withdrawl in the hospital while the doctors can monitor it. Just the thought of the baby going through the withdrawl at home with just me is so scary. I wanted so bad to breastfeed, but not worth it :'(

Okay, here is the thing. There has not been any research done either way with the breastfeeding on Subutex/Suboxone. You need to listen to your body, your heart and your God. Doctors are human beings too. The reason they say it is not safe is because they don't really know enough about it to give you the, "OKAY." One thing I can tell you is that John Hopkins is the 3rd best hospital in America and they did some tests on women who were on HIGH levels (relatively high 50-100mg's) of Methadone and wanted to Breastfeed. They came up with the conclusion that the pros of breastfeeding for both the baby and the woman outweighed the cons. Number one- If you have been on maintance meds your whole pregnancy than your stability is number one for your babies health. Do not get off the medication if you have been on these meds for years and there is a chance that withdrawal would cause you to use illegal drugs because this is not a great decision. Number two- DO NOT TAKE ADVICE ABOUT DRUG RECOVERY FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER BEEN THROUGH IT. Recovery is not a A + B = C equation , and it certainly is not logical. There are a tremendous amount of changes your body mind and soul must go through to truly and I mean truly get off of these meds. I used Oxycontin for a long enough time where I NEEDED to go to a clinic in order to get stability back into my life. I was on 120 MG of methadone and now I am on 2 mg of subutex. The changes in my life have been slow, but successful. It has been 4 years and there is not a chance in the world that I would use. BUT! If I were under the horrible effects of withdrawal who knows how much my personality and mind would change. It is a mineute and I mean mineute amount of medication that passes through your breastmilk and if you have been on these medications the whole time your baby has been growing inside you what is another 3 months? Really. You can let your baby go through neonatal treatment, or you can allow your baby to get the nutrients it needs from your God given breastmilk while receiving the necessary bonding experience the baby needs with you. You have the human right and I mean HUMAN RIGHT to breastfeed if you are passionate about it and understand it's benefits. Than you can give the baby less and less milk and start with the formula. Some babies will take both, others will stick with one. There are a tremendous amount of benefits with breastmilk and you are the only one that can make that decision. If you are not comfortable making your own medical decisions than by all means listen to your doctor. My suggestion would be if you are at 2mg of subutex or under than breastfeed. If you are not, than don't, but remember that your body is a science but IS NOT A SCIENCE. Everyone is different and what is best for one may not be for another. I am going to breastfeed. My boyfriend was not for it because of the research than I led him to some of the newest research and had the doctors email him to let him know what they thought about it. He now trusts me and my decisions regarding the baby because I am carrying the baby and I am the babies mother and only mother. Some people may think I am being selfish. I know that I am being selfless. This baby needs to bond with me and needs my milk. I trust that God made my body able to lactate for the reason and only reason of feeding my beautiful little girl. I know that breastfeeding is better for my body and will help me and the baby sleep better, recover better, and love each other better. I do not trust the medical industry because they would not create a society and a system that relies on quick fixes and symptom treating philosophys if they truly were looking out for the better half. Dig deep within yourself. Eat fruits and vegetables as much as possible and drink purified water. Exercise and raise your heartrate through walking and swimming. Sing at the top of your lungs in your car and cry when you need to. Do not be jealous of your peers or siblings, and love people for who they are. Love yourself; love your enemy. Do not try to reason with thoughts that are unjust, and do not try to figure things out that just need to be gone and move on to a beautiful thought. The SECRET is is that that law of attraction does not know the difference between what you do want and what you dont want. Compare this to absolute numbers; the absolute value of -14 is 14, the absolute value of 14 is 14. So if you don't want 14 than don't think about -14 think about a totally different number. More than half of your health is in your mind. Your ability to change, and your ability to trust in yourself. Trust yourself. Do the research-the research inside yourself. The number one problem our society has is that we look outward for answers not inward. Jesus is right there in the form of the holy spirit to give you all the necessary guidance and explanation. Your answer may be different than mine and yours is still right. I hope everything goes well for anyone that is trying to do the best thing for there children all over the world. Love-Angela

1st_time_mom wrote:

:?: I am still confused about these subutex. I too just got prescribe them...a switch from suboxone. The doctor that prescribed them to me told me that it is totally safe to breastfeed, BUT my old doctor that was prescribing me the suboxone told me that it is NOT safe. I have been doing a little research today and so far...my suboxone doctor was right. It is NOT okay to breastfeed while on subutex because it passes through the milk and because it passes through the milk, the baby is still getting a little bit of that subutex. From what I have learned, the baby will go through a slight withdrawl for the first few days after it is born because of the subutex you take, but if you breastfeed, you are still giving the baby the subutex and when you stop breastfeeding, the baby will go through the withdrawl....better for the baby to go through the withdrawl in the hospital while the doctors can monitor it. Just the thought of the baby going through the withdrawl at home with just me is so scary. I wanted so bad to breastfeed, but not worth it :cry:

Very smart to not want your baby to go through withdrawal unless under doctors supervision just remember NO HUMAN BEING HAS EVER DIED FROM OPIATE WITHDRAWAL. Back many years ago you couldn't even be medically treated for withdrawal unless it was something like benzos or alcohol or another substance than you could actually DIE from withdrawal. YOU CANNOT DIE FROM OPIATE WITHDRAWAL. Although you may want to kill yourself you won't die. PLUS, babies do not have the predisposition of the mental process of withdrawal. Most of physical withdrawal symptoms are amplified by our minds need to fix it and knowing that we could fix it by using. Your baby does not know that. She does not know your friend down the street has drugs or your doctor will presribe them. All she/he knows is that she wants to eat, sleep, poop, and love you. You can try to find an example of someone who died from opiate withdrawal but I can guarantee you that they were under the effects of other medications when they went into withdrawal. Like I said, you can die from Benzo(xanax, klonopins, ativans) withdrawal, and certainly alcohol, but not opiates and certainly not subutex. I commend you on wanting the safety of your child to come first and wanting the baby to be monitored by a heart rate monitor and other hospital devices.

babies can actually have seizures from withdrawal of narcotics ......the litature states that approx 80 mg or less of methadone is safe for breastfeeding....subutex 4mg a day has been found safe for breastfeeding.......most hospitals will watch a baby for 3-5 days for withdrawal prior to discharge and if they need it start them on morphine q6h with a stay in the hospital for 4 weeks or more.....

I personally say babies should be ok with breastfeeding on a mom who is taking subutex/suboxin. I was on the 2mg daily too, an after having my baby the nurses in the hospital had no problem handing me over my prescription while breastfeeding.  The good stuff in your milk, I would assume, out weighs the bad in your body, go for it. Be safe 

WHY WOULD YOU WANT YOUR BABY TO TAKE A DRUG WHEN THEY DONT HAVE TO...WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY!!!....

Breast milk is always better! when your ready to quit breast feeding don't just stop (subutex or not that's not good) u supplement breast milk with formula and there should be very mild to no withdrawals at all. if you done a little research to see how much the baby receives it is hardly anything at all on 9 mg ur baby would get less than 0.55

Thank you so much for this post you just helped me confirm everything in my heart and soul... You helped me in ways I can't begin to tell you. I'm going to keep the bond with my son! I can't thank you enough for putting your heart out here. Thank you! I can have my life back and still nurse my son like GOD intended.

Im sorry but I think once you are a drug addict & you become pregnant...STOP ALL DRUGS! If you can't stop without the help of another drug then thats on you, whatever helps you through the pregnancy clean but To consciously make the decision to give it to your baby after birth because you feel sooo damn maternal that you need to breastfeed. even if the baby gets a small amount of the subutex, its tooo damn much. Give the baby half a chance & bottlefeed!!!Put the baby's needs before your own!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

who told you that you cant breast fed on subutex? well, to give you some truth, the doctors encouraged me to breast feed, and im also on valium been prescribed both 5 years. My son is fine he stayed in hospital 6 days i stayed as well, his score was never over a 2 , they said by breast feeding him, since i am already on the medication, and was on it since i was pregnancy ,that he would get the medication through me versus methadone wein or worse. so i am breast feeding and i am on 8 m.g of subutex 3 times daily and he is fine, he is 6 weeks old, You use common sense with this, you can tell when the baby is in withdrawl, so breast feed and weekly taper down how much you breast feed him. I can tell you this for a fact also subutex withdraw is very bad and i dont or would not try even attempt to wein down right now you have a newborn you CAN BREAST FEED IT IS SAFE! so thought id give you appart of my story and i do not care what others think, i did what doctors told me and my son is doing fine

Miss AMY you sure are quick to judge ,huh well first off you have no knowledge about this medication i can see, and second all these babies were born on this medication meaning that these babies have already been recieving this medication! Its not a DRUG! please people like you make it hard for people like us just living a normal life, so in fact this medication is given to cancer patients as well its used for various reasons, whats wrong with breast feeding when the baby has been recieving the medication the 9 months on board with mommy? there is nothing wrong with it and you should not even be on here with you lack of knowledge, sorry but you have no clue what these women, mothers are going through, bty its totally safe to breast feed while on this medication:)

are you serious? look i can be mean and nasty as you are! first off you dont know a thing about these mommas and this medication! we are not harming our children and second, if any one of these ladies would said hey im weining off while pregnant well guess what happens! you should know miss genius .you lose the baby from extreme with drawl . Im sickened by your lack of knowledge you need to read up , get educated on what you say before you go popping off at the mouth, u have an addiction, and its called ......miss, know it all, probably eats too much shops too much, miss sassy ass, i cant believe you have the nerve these women need help and are seeking it through this forum, i myself know everything about this medication, pros cons what not, if you have never walked n those shoes, then dont open that big mouth and think u have the right to say a thing to any of us.

Oh also the DOCTORS ENCOURAGE THESE MAMMA S TO BREAST FEED WHILE ON SUBUTEX, SO THERE DUMMY, IM ON 8 MG 3 TIMES DAILY MY BABY IS GREAT DOING GREAT 7 WEEKS OLD IM BREAST FEEDING AND I KNOW WHAT IM DOING, IM NOT EXPLAINING sh*t TO YOU, BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK!!!!!!!!IM FURIOUS OVER YOUR STATEMENTS HIDE BEHIND UR COMPUTER ILL BE THE FIRST TO STAND FOR WHATS RIGHT, ATLEAST THESE WOMEN DIDDNT GO ABORT THEIR BABIES, THATS PROBABLY WHAT YOU WILL SAY NEXT SICKO