Hi

I feel my baby is not getting enough milk. Am I lactating enough? Is there anyway I can increase my milk supply?

Hello anars

Since you haven't mentioned age of your baby -

The most common concern of breastfeeding mothers is that they're not quite sure if everything is going well. It's not surprising to hear a new mother say, "The baby is feeding every three hours, peeing and pooping 8 times a day, and gaining weight, but I'm still not sure how much milk I'm making or how much she's taking."

Unlike a mom who bottlefeeds her baby, a breastfeeding mother can't tell how much milk she produces by measuring. The key factors in how well the baby is doing, however, are:

• Feeding at least every three hours
  • Urinating frequently (at least 6 to 8 times a day)
  • Having sufficient bowel movements (at least 4 to 6 a day)
  • Gaining weight (By the age of 2 weeks, the baby should have regained its birth weight; an infant can drop up to 10% upon discharge from the hospital.)

Are there other ways to tell how well the baby is feeding?

As mentioned before, the main assessment of how well your baby is doing is by his growth by weight exclusively at the breast. In addition, you should have a lactation consultant evaluate a few components to make sure you're on the right track:

• The baby's ability to latch on properly
  • The baby's ability to coordinate sucking, swallowing and breathing properly
  • Your nipples shouldn't be sore!
  • Your milk supply

Just remember that breastmilk is a kind of demand vs suppy kinda thingy. More a baby suckles, more breastmilk is produced. Good luck

Thanks you very much aushi