So I started having regular periods about a year and a half ago. I started to lose weight 2 years ago and have since dropped 114 pounds which allowed me to start having regular periods. I am 23 and have been married for almost 5 years with no pregnancies...yet. My periods...other than a few exceptions have been exactly 34 days apart. So I should have ovualated on 2/28/11. Which would put my period start date at 3/14/11. Well yesterday, 3/8/11 I spotting nothing but old brown blood that stopped after a few hours. At first I thought I was starting my period early but now I'm not so sure. We don't use birth control but we do try to follow the calander and be as careful as it gets for about 4 days around ovulation. I know this isn't the best method as hormones can change up on you and switch your cycle around. We certainly are not trying but would be very happy to have a baby. I also noticed that mid afternoon yesterday I got very hot and my checks turned deep red (hot flash i'm guessing?). I guess my main question is could all this be due to something other than pregnancy. I know the only way to know for sure is to wait it out and take a test but if anyone has ever experienced something like this and not ended up pregnant i'd just like to know what other causes there may be for this type of spotting.

The main difference between implantation bleeding and any other kind of spotting is that it happens only to some of the pregnant women, it's really more of an exception than a general rule, but the reason why this spotting you experienced wasn't implantation bleeding is that implantation bleeding is always bright red blood and it lasts only for a few hours. So, it doesn't really rule out the possibility that you're pregnant - your period isn't late yet so where would be much point in taking the home pregnancy test now, but this wasn't implantation bleeding.

It's fine if this was not implantation bleeding but nikols, your reply is quite confusing because this is not at all what I have read and heard. I've heard the exact opposite actually...that if it is bright red it probably is not implantation bleeding. That the color is always either brown or light pink. This is all i've ever heard or read so I'm wondering where this information came from. Well I'll know soon enough. Thankz for your imput.

Well, my information comes from the simple fact that implantation means fertilized egg attaching itself to the lining of the uterus which happens about two weeks after conception. So, fertilized eff while attaching itself sometimes causes a small injury to the uterine tissue and that is why the blood is red, or light pink - light pink still means that the blood is fresh, only its amount is small. But, as you said - just a little while and it could be possible to know for sure. Please, let me know what happened.