I was thinking about this today on my way to work......trouble with a 40 minute commute is that there is way too much time for brain activity.

Everyone who's been on Dr. Genie's couch lately has said that she gives great support and advice. So why then, does she have so much trouble applying that to her own life, may I ask?? Is everyone like that or am I just a knothead?

I find myself often telling people that one person's opinion of you should not make or break your mood for the day, the week, or evah, and that if someone doesn't like you, it's their problem, NOT yours, and :moon: them for not appreciating the unique individual you really are. My apologies to those who have been trying to drum that into my head for months now, especially my three devoted sistahs. I think I finally get that now.

Is this a trick question?

I agree, I am great at giving advice but I can't follow it to save my behind. (when it comes to running and injuries that is. )

You? Are not a knothead.

It's so much easier to get a clear perspective when it's someone else's emotions on the line and not YOURS, that's all. Plus, think about it: how many of your couch-ees have actually managed to FOLLOW your very correct advice? :|

Good point.
No, really--they're getting there.....one step at a time, I guess that's what it takes for all of us. Either that or it takes that little inner part of yourself to finally get really really pissed off and say, "looky here, bustah..I yam who I yam and if that ain't good enough for you then you can kiss my :moon: because there will be someone out there who disagrees with you and then YOU LOSE!!!"
very empowering.

It's human nature - endemic to our condition. I think it also depends on the topic. I can be very levelheaded with my actions in say academics or work, but know I shouldn't overtrain with the running but stupidly do it anyway, time and time again. Methinks should you get the answer to your question, however, you will become a millionaire.

Quite simple really. You can't see the whole forest when you are one of the trees.

or am I just a knothead?
Yes. Oh, just kidding...was just getting you back for calling me a big fatty yesterday. I don't have a good answer, but you should take your advice, you always make good points to me and you are always a great shoulder....so thanks. All I know I can say is you go girl!

or am I just a knothead?
Yes. Oh, just kidding...was just getting you back for calling me a big fatty yesterday. I don't have a good answer, but you should take your advice, you always make good points to me and you are always a great shoulder....so thanks. All I know I can say is you go girl! I did NOT call you a big fatty! ;) Thanks bud.....I think it's all good now. :)

with practice, it seems to come easier. down times still happen for me, and today is no exception. however, I am able to give myself a kickstart and pull out of it much better than even a few months ago. so keep attempting to follow your own advice. each time that I do I get a little more successful at it. Monday= about 11 hours of hell for me, but a year ago, the same stressor would have meant weeks of depression if not hospitalization.

That's amazingly true, and very timely.
RLAG is right on the money...it's much easier to have a broad, rational perspective when it's not your emotions involved (they are involved to the point of caring for your friends but you're still able to view the whole situation more objectively).

If you ever figure out the answer to this please share....and what weekend are you coming down?

Whenever you want!! I figured I'd give you a couple weeks to get settled but flights to Ft. L. are dirt cheap right now so we ought to pick a date soon! :banana:

Genie I'm sure you've heard the old adage that a physician who treats himself has both a fool for a patient and a doctor. Many times that applies. It's easier to see someone else problems clearly, but when you deal with your own, they're all muddled and wrapped in other issues. Just dealing with the one presenting issue may not be the answer. It may not be that a person needs to stand up to someone, but that they need to figure out why they're such a dormat. (not you...just an example) Sometimes our own advice isn't what we need, it's the advice of someone who sees us through more unbiased eyes.

Ponder on that for the 40 min. home. :D

I'll agree with the idea that a third-part, un-emotional perspective is the likely reason. It sounds as though you are gaining some of that perspective... good for you.

Kattz, I think you are so right....a lot of people say that to me too. It really does help, no matter how close you are to your friends, to not be actually living whatever trauma they are going through in order to keep a more rational viewpoint. I guess sometimes I just feel like a big poseur trying to help other people when my head is not always on perfectly straight. But I'm workin' on it....:)

You guys are all a big help with that too! Thanks for being there and continuing to kick me squarely in the arse when I need it. :pinklove:

Genie, you suck even more than elkid!

See, you're making lots of progress! ;) You are not allowed to misquote me to poke fun at yourself. Shelfie, yes. Yourself, no.