Hi, folks. We have a major problem with our  daughter. She's 15 1/2 and she's been spending a couple of days at a friend's house in the countryside and apparently her friend  and her sister were naked all the time inside the house and outside and dressed only in order to go to the village. Our daughter thinks it was "supercool" and wants to do the same thing at our place. We're not in favor of it but how can we convince her not to do it? We're arguing for days now. 

Health Guru

If your daughter is body confidant then don't knock it, come to a compromise that she can go naked around the house when just your there but has to dress when you have guests or goes outside.

Can it be that easy? I mean what when her friends come? Shall we allow her to be naked then because they obviously know what she looks like from school? Or only when the one comes where she learned to do this? And even: what about us, her parents? I don't know if I'd be able to just pretend it's nothing special to see my daughter naked all the time.

Health Guru
Tell her it's ok when it's just her but when her friends come over then she stays clothed even the one she learnt it from as you are not comfortable with her friends being naked around the house but it's fine when she goes to her friends in the country if they don't mind, I would very much doubt any of her other friends would do it anyway when they came over, her friend she learnt it from are they a nudist family?
I can't see why it would be any big deal for you as her parents seeing her naked round the house I mean to say you gave birth to her and seen her naked when changing her nappy and bathing her as a baby and she has nothing different that you have as her mother and has nothing more any other woman has that her father hasn't seen before, the more you argue with her about it the more friction it will cause.
The more you push against her doing it the more she is going to want to do it as a teenager so if you come to a compromise that she can do it at home while inside and only your around it gives her a sense she has achieved something towards her independence.

Thanks. You may have convinced me. I didn't really think I was going to get a reasonable answer by writing here but, hey, here it is! Her friend's family are no nudists, no (we asked of course after she told us what was going on there), it's only her friend and her younger sister being naked. It seems they used to be naked when children and just kept on going naked. When our daughter was at their place she actually stayed clothed (or at least so she says) because she didn't want her friend's parents to see her naked, and she only spent a day naked herself when the parents were away. So, anyway, it will be only in private that she wants to be naked. I'm only worried that she might want to get more out of it later, but maybe I should leave these worries for when they present themselves. Thanks for your advice.

Health Guru
Once she turns 16 if she wants to lead a nudist type lifestyle then that's up to her but she must realise that it is illegal in most countries to be complete nude in public, you will probably find it will just be a passing phase and she will change her mind about it after a while.
Glad to have helped you out and helped you see if in a different perspective.

Interesting dilemma. My first response is that nudity is natural and do not make a big deal out of it. Just tell her she can be naked at home, but must be clothed when friends or other family arrives. She is probably not a nudist, and this is a phase of curiosity and exploration.