I am 47, have had a lot of severe problems with fibroid tumors which causes debilitating pain most months, to the point where I can not even walk without being hunched over. I read about evening primrose and started taking it mid cycle. About five days before my period was scheduled to start I had a mucousy bleeding, and a little spotting for a couple of days, then nothing. When it came time for my period I had cramping, like I was going to have a period but nothing happened. I have looked online in search of an answer to this question and have found several women who have had the same symptoms, but the answers they get range from, it has to be a coincidence or no it's not possible. It seems that if so many women have posted the same question maybe it is possible. I also read that evening primrose effects estrogen, and this too makes me wonder if evening primrose could effect the menstrual cycle. Menopause also came to mind, but this is the first time this has ever happened, and it was so sudden and after starting the evening primrose. Also my mother was almost 57 when she had her last period, so I wasn't expecting menopause at least until mid 50's. Does anyone know? Has anyone else had this experience?

Hi I'm so glad you posted this. Thank you. I am 46 had extactly same suitation as you. Did you finally resolved this problem and what was the outcome?

Thanks

MadamButterfly, you have been taking Evening Primrose and your periods became irregular as well?

I never could get a response to my question, other than reading posts online from women who were experiencing the same problem I was having. 

I decided to stop taking the Evening Primrose and after doing so the periods became regular again.  However, I have gone back to taking Evening Primrose, since it is beneficial for the extreme pain I suffer from.  I am only taking two 1,000 MG soft gels per day instead of the recommended dosage of the 3 soft gels per day, and so far everything seems to be normal.  I have also been taking a different brand than I was taking before, so I don't know if this makes a difference or not.  The brand is Spring Valley and I found it at Walmart.  It does seem to help with the extreme pain.

Hi GypsyCowgirl, thanks so much for replying.  My period used to be very regular but delayed ever since I took evening primrose oil. I also decided to stop taking them, will wait and see what happens.  :-)

yes and i am 27

on advice i received from health food store, i tried it for a month to try to shrink a cyst. i have not had a period since, almost a year now, and i too was not expecting until at least mid 50's like my mom. any ideas on perhaps an unbalance??

Sorry it has been so long since I posted.  I ended up going to a gynecologist who specializes in bio-identical hormones.  I have high estrogen levels which caused my uterus to enlarge.  Evening Primrose increases estrogen levels which only added to the already high estrogen problem.  I also had low progesterone levels.  The doctor put me on an herbal estrogen blocker and on a bio-identical progesterone cream.  It would be a good idea to get hormone levels checked, and to go to your doctor for a pap smear.

Hi, I am having the same exact symptoms. My last cycle was 21 days long and i took epo until assumed ovulation day. When I stopped and i began to experience all of the pre-menstrual symptoms but now my period has now been delaid. I had a second line positive on my clearblue fertility monitor until yesterday and went back to line one this morning and the only reason i can think of is epo. I started to take this to prepare my body for our planned ovulation day and tbd and have had protected sex :( but now no period. Though i would share that you are not alone.

I have been taking evening primrrose for over a year any make th last batch tescos cheepies I ran out 3days ago forgot to stock up with Xmas shopping I havnt had a real period in 9 months only mild discomfort and spotting some months today a real one pain heavy bleeding feeling drained in 53 and thought my periods were over but I'm sure th evening primrose was stopping my cycle will get supply tomorrow

I have been using evening primerose oil for over a month now for hotflashes, and this is the first month that i didnt get a period.

what happened then . Im having the similar problem

Did the hot flashes stop and period resume. I took wpo for two weeks and never had a hot flash before them now it's horrible. None proof either.

I have taken evening primrose for about a month it makes my period came light for 3 days in July and it hasn't came back all now in August will my period ever comes back again

I am 46, having same problem. I was taking evening primrose for at least 3 weeks as soon as I realise that I miss my period for 5 days I stop taking. I am overdue 2 weeks now, my stomach is bloated and having the period pains but yet I haven't had my period. I am sure that going through peri menopause hormones changes and can be very frustrating.

Hi All, I read all views side effect of evening primrose supplement. I am sure that evening primrose can stop periods and disturb the menstrual cycle. I am currently facing this issue. My advice stop taking the evening primrose pills, let your system get back to normal. However, it's effective on some issues like mine tingling's and numbness on my feet also sore nerves, I am over that but I haven't had my period as yet it's over the month and feeling discomfo