It's been four weeks and my period goes from real heavy, medium and to very light. I have lots of blood clots, my blood is very red and I can't get pregnaunt because my tubes were tied 16 years ago. I'm 47 years old. Can anyone give me an answer?

All the web sites survey women with hot flashes, no bleeding, no period to dryness....not one word about a 4 week period.

Thanks,
Vee Rose

HI,

I am not that experienced in this field but my mother had her tubes tied a long time ago. However, she bled for what seemed weeks on end, stopped for a few days and then it all started. She was hemoraging and passing clots. She knew she was anemic and her doctor advised a complete hysterectomy. She was afraid of hormone replacment but was assured that there were other methods and/or no replacement needed.
This went on for years until she finally made the decision. She was always tired, looked drained, etc...
After the surgery she recovered and hasn't looked back!
Another thought is that fibriods (non-cancerous cysyts), in the uterus, ovarian cysts, etc... cause heavy and excessive bleeding, iregular etc... I would advise that you see your doctor asap to determine what is going on as your health is the most important. I hope this somewhat helped.

I hate to admit it, but I was glad to see Vee Roses' comments. I am 46 years old and have been having the exact same troubles. I have been on my period a bit over 3 weeks and it goes from light to very heavy (even within minutes of each other). Major blood clots recently. I have not had my tubes tied however, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I mean is this part of menopause or something? I have no other symptoms of that either. I see that I am rsponding to an old email. I would love to know what happened to her situation or any other info. someone may have....
Thanks!

sounds like the start of menopausal symptoms, irregular bleeding is a big one. can always have the lining of the uterus burned off, so will have light ones in the future, that may be an option, if it keeps up. talk to your GYN about it, good luck!

:( :( WHAT DO LADY DO

i had my cycle 12 days ago ,am on ortho,then another horrific cycle started ,had2go to e.r.on 9th day of HEAVY bleeding&clots dr.said its stress,husband left last year dropped my medical&dental,and havent gotten a job so maybe its true.

hey:) I am 37 yrs old and have been experiencing the same problem for almost 4 yrs now. It all began when I didn't have a period for about 5-6 months. I went to the doctor, and he found no explanation as to why I wasn't having a period. That's when this craziness began o.O

I eventually started, and went for about 4 weeks. I was experiencing alot of heavy bleeding and blood clots. After it finally ended, it was about 6 weeks before I had another, which lasted 2 weeks. Again, alot of heavy bleeding and clots.

About a year ago I went to my doctor bc I was on week 3 of a really bad cycle that included huge blood clots. I was afraid I was going to go into shock bc I knew I was probably anemic, and I was very dizzy and felt faint. I was given a shot, as well as a round of Provera to take to stop the bleeding..along with she ran several blood tests and hormone lvl checks. Once it slacked off from the Provera, I went in to see my now ex-obgyn.
Without doing any tests (such as hormone considering the results were not in yet where my family dr did them)..no vag. exams, no nothing. Just assumption that 'I was having these awful lengthy periods bc of my weight' WHAT!!!??? So ALL women that experience very heavy bleeding and long periods are overweight? Yes, I am not at my 'ideal' weight that I should be..who is? I have always had normal periods since I started at 13 yrs old..always on time (give or take a week occasionally).. never lasted more than 4-5 days. Been through one miscarriage, then the birth of my firstborn vaginally..then twins by c-section over 10 years ago.
Now all of a sudden with these awful periods, its bc I am overweight? And I have no right to being treated fairly and given the benefit of the doubt at the very least otherwise considering I know for a fact that perimenopause can start in your 30s and last for yrs no matter how tall you are or how much you weigh? Wow, never knew heavy periods could be so discrimtory 8-| (or maybe just this quack dr perhaps ? )

Instead, without even ruling out any other problems that could cause this medically, he is basically telling me that this is not normal for my age and so what? I am immune to actually having an issue that could cause all of this? I guess I will never know bc he couldnt get passed the fact that I dont have the body of a supermodel I suppose to actually do his job and make sure there isnt something serious going on %-)

Well, unfortunately after being humiliated by my ex-obgyn and crying for 3 days straight bc he was actually my only hope to find out whats going on... I have not been to another doctor in over a year for this. Basically my life revolves around 2-3 week long periods that keep me home bc they are that bad. If I am lucky, I will have a week maybe 2 in between each one.
Finding another obgyn is like trying to find a needle in a haystack bc I am on Medicaid and not many accept that.
I'm just so frustrated with the whole thing and wish there was someone somewhere I could turn to and find out what my body is going through :-(

I am 30 years old, no babies, no miscarriages and no regular periods until I started gaining some extra wieght. I have NEVER had a period last more than 5 days until now. It all began January 2010 when I didn't have a period for about 6 months. I am working on my 4th week straight with light then heavy bleeding with frequent clots larger than a nickel. Going to the doctor next week.....will post later with any news! Hopefully we can figure this out.

? ? I am almost 39 years old and I have usually had the most regular periods! Not a problem, EVER. Not until this year! I have had my period for months with very little signs of stopping. I'll stop for a day or two. But then it starts up again. My doctor put me on a 10 day prescription of Provera, to alter my uterus, to stop the bleeding. It did stop it for like 3/4 of a week, but then I had to go and make love to my husband and it started back up again!!! I've got an appointment in two weeks with a gynocologist. Hopefully, she'll suggest a hysterectomy because I'll be ready for it that same day!!!! I am so ready for this to stop!!! Any advice???? ~Debbi

Hello ladies.....I'm 42 years old and a few months ago I had a period that was normal for the first week then it went into the second week and went to light....I of course got worried because I never bleed that long ...I made an appt with my family doctor because I tend to always go to her with things first (dunno why I'm like that but I am...just trust her very much) ....she ran some blood tests and called me back two days later with the GRAND NEWS that I was experiencing early onset menopause. YAY ME *blah*
I phoned my mother who informed me that she too had gone through early menopause ...it is something that runs in the family....and the irregular periods....ones that last a longer time than normal and/or just plain erratic are par for the course.
This last cycle came on just two weeks after the one before and I am now into the third week of bleeding....regardless of having been told that this is par for the course I have gone ahead and scheduled an appt with my GYN.....I'll be in to see her this Friday. There is a history of cervical cancer in my family.....my sister has had several bouts and I myself have had a cone biopsy in the past to remove "irregular cells" from my uterus. The bleeding is not only a sign of menopause but can also be a sign of cervical problems so it's always better to be safe than sorry and make an appt with your GYN to get a pap smear and make sure everything is ok.

Well... I am 25 years old. I had not had a a period in about 6 months, that started to cycle regularly for a few months... and than it started and never went away. I am on month three now. I am used to irregularity but this is crazy! I was diagnosed with PCOS is my teens and the doctors tell me oh well thats why.. you just need to rough it out... Really???? Im tired and frustrated and should by stock in Kotex at this point.

Did you find out what it was?

Same here.

hi...
i m also going through the same problem. I have light periods 10 days before and now again periods have started. This time they are heavy. In between those 10 days, I do have blood clots. I am 21 years old and hesitnt to go to doctr. I dont know what to do. Please help

hello, well i was researching this topic because i too have had my period for i dont know for sure, but i think about 9 days, i am 13 going on 14 years old, and i thought maybe this was from B.C. but i started looking into it myself, and now im a afraid i need to go to the E.R?
i dont know!!
and hey i hope all went well for you, and it was nothing serious..what did happen? please keep us updated!! ! ! ! !