I came back from a cruise with a persistant sore throat mostly on my left side and with ear pain also left side. It gets much worse at night when it is time to go to sleep, and is keeping me up. I have been gargling with salt water and taking lozenges, even throat spray. Now tonight I felt the back of my tongue and it seems to have bumps on it. This has been going on for about a week to 10 days now. What could it be and what should i do? I don't seem to have fever. It started right after I had a post nasal drip for a few nights on the cruise.

i am experiencing the same symptons, first night. acute pain in left ear accompanied with a dry, painful throat. not sure if it's a perforated ear drum or not but based on my reading, perf. ear drums aren't typically super painful

Hi these, what you are both describing would sound accurate, post natal drip (if it contains bacteria and other negative substances) - when it drips down the back of the throat, it brings the bacteria with it, this causes the lining of the throat to so too become affected by the fluids..........especially in dry, or hot, humid conditions, whichever.....it does sound typical to be honest, also a blocked nose forces you to breath through your mouth, the bacteria in the air enter your throat directly of course and this too can cause throat pains.....furthermore. since the throat is directly connected to the ears it is possible that an affect of one leads to an affect of the other!
Reccomend seeing your GPs who may well refer you to an Ears, Nose Throat and Mouth specialist, ENTM :-)
hope this helps (p.s. im suffering the same too haha!)

Since Nov 06 , I have ear pain and a swollen throat. It was once so bad that my left side of the face hurt from the top to the bottom.Only the left side, divided like a border ! Doctor trated me with antibiotics. Still came back. Now I am taking antibiotics for 2 month and the symptoms are coming in waves, never disapearing for to long. I feel tired ,physicly exhausted after doing minor tasks. Also fell like heving a permanent low grade fever. Can anybody HELP plese ?

ohh goshhh even i suffer from the samething...............oh la la may i knw ,how worse this situation can become in future,,,,,,i m not on antibiotics ,,,,but taking recommended medicines prescribed by ENT specialist

Okayyy since the topic and situation you're suffering with sounds very familier to myself. And yess, I am just curious about a couple things since I already know quite a bit about the diagnosis i've bein given more than a dozen times in a period of a year or two. So, long story short; my docters have told me since late in the yaer of 2005 that I had a sinus infection. I wasn't given any specific little details but after having to drop out of my highschool to start a homeschooling based program I feel like I need to do something to get rid of it. They've told me about how it can be accompanied by a sore throat, nasal congestion, sinus headaches, runny nose, coughing, fatigue..the list goes on and on. Not only does having this "sinus infection" effect the way I feel for a week or two, it has effected my entire life for awhile now. It makes me easily excessible to other bacterial/viral infections and as soon as I think I am well I am already experiencing symtoms of my next encounter with the infamous "beast". It is driving me crazy, and no matter what I have done to at least get rid of it for a month; it just keeps coming back around. I was just wondering if their is maybe another explanation for what I am experiencing because obviously what I am doing now is completely worthless. If their is anythingy anyone can come up with to help I would appreciate it a million times over. thanks for your time& effort..

-CorinaFaith-

I too went to the doctor for left side throat pain, ear pain, difficulty swallowing etc. After getting some unecessary antibiotics I still had the same symptoms. I went to the dentist a few weeks later and had to have my upper left side wisdom tooth pulled and sucess^^ all my symptoms were gone. I know most these posts are old but I'm just curious how many ppl really just needed their tooth yanked =)

Did you have pain in your teeth when you went to the dentist? I have had dizzy spells for about 3 months now. I just went through a prescription of Levaquin. My dizziness is better but I am still having pain in my ears (mainly the left) and pain in my neck. It kinda gets a tightness. Does this sound familiar to you. I am so tired of feeling this way.

that sounds like an ear infection - the pain and tightness in your neck is especially worrisome, because it could be an indication that the infection is effecting your spinal chord - ear infections can cause spinal meningitis, Do you lack energy or feel tired a lot? I recommend reading WebMD page on earaches: webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/earache-cold-ear-infection

you have tonsilitis, i had the same symptoms. they really suck. i would definitely go to a doctor

I have sore throat.. huts to swallow.. and its on the right side of my throat and goes up towards my right ear..

The fact i have my widows teeth all in, and once every couple weeks the gum is cut up, makes perfect sense.. thats how the bacteria is entering.

Now i just need a doc appointment to get my wisdoms pulled :S

I started having these symptoms about two days ago. At first it was both of my ears, then my right ear started to hurt more and more. So I waxed it all I could, thinking that it might be just dirty or something. Didn't help. Especially on the very inside it has this very severe pain. I also feel like there is something hurting that connects to my ear from underneath, almost like a vein that comes down from behind the very end of my jaw. What exactly is it called? That's also pretty painful.

I remember I had this happen before, which my dad would manage to cure with his natural drugs and whatnot. But divorce sucks, especially if you leave your dad at the other side of the ocean.

Lol sorry I'm really not in a good mood right now (for obvious reasons) so I apologize for the pessimistic sounding post. Now I'd like to go make me some salt-water haha

PS, is it a good idea to just pour some medical alcohol in my ear to kill all the bacteria? Or would directly exposing my ear to alcohol do any harm?

im 13 and am getting the same thing left throat pain and horrible pain in the ear and doctor didnt even help much :-(

What happened when you went to the doctor? Did you get any antibiotics? It sounds to me like you may have some sort of issue with your sinuses or something. can you let me know how you're doing?

you should look at the description of Sjogren's Syndrome I have this and I have the ear pain with no infection and it goes along with the throat pain but no infection.... also have sore tender saliva glands in neck these all run at the same time along with low grade fever and extreme fatigue.