Hello. I have a dog, actually several of them and I was always cleaning their ears with those ear cleaners that we, people use (cotton buds).

About a week ago a friend came to visit me. Since she didn’t call, she interrupted me just as I was cleaning my dog’s ears. She helped me to keep him still (he hates when I need to clean his ears, he just won’t remain still unless forced).

When she saw that I’m cleaning his ears only with cotton buds she asked why don’t I use olive oil or vinegar and alcohol for this. I didn’t even know people use this.

What do you think, should I start using it?

Yeah, I’ve heard that many people mix vinegar and alcohol but I think that alcohol can be a little bit harsh especially for those dogs who have sensitive ears. And I’m not alone.

Your dog doesn’t have an ear infection right or ulcers in his ears?

Here’s what I do- I mix apple cider vinegar and water alone. I just mix 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar to 2/3 cup of warm water. As a cleaning tool I usually use cotton balls or something like that but I’ve heard that you can buy dog ear cleaners similar to those cotton buds we people use.

Hello. The vinegar and alcohol mix works well and this combination definitely clean your dog ears regularly and it prevents some infections as well. For example my friend keeps a bottle of half vinegar and half green menthol rubbing alcohol. She squirt it into her dog’s ears about once or twice a month, just before she gives him a bath. After the bath it is recommended to swab their ears out. It is amazing combination to prevent dog’s ear infection. It is a great combination even if other people will tell you that it is forbidden. Consult your vet. Good luck. 

Hello everyone.

I was reading lot about this combination and I found so many negative opinion about cleaning dog ears with olive oil, vinegar and alcohol. Actually, I found that those things are on the list that you need to avoid when you are cleaning your dog's ears.

Also I was reading that this can be good but I am a little bit skeptical now about this. I want to know what the right dosage is, how much percent of olive oil, vinegar and alcohol we can use when we want to clean our dog ears?

I still don’t know should I use it.

Hey there everyone :)

Those things are amazing for dog’s ear infection. Don’t listen what other people are telling you. It is great. Especially olive oil.

I am using olive oil to clean my dog ears. We all do know what the healthy benefits of olive oil are. We all also know that dog’s ears are very sensitive and if you use just water it won’t help your dog.

So when you are cleaning your dog’s ears all you need is olive oil and cotton balls. Just put cotton ball in the oil and very gently swab inside of your pet’s ears.

Good day everyone.

I am cleaning my dog’s ears with vinegar and alcohol. So far no one told me that this combination is bad for my dog. Not even the vet. But you need to follow certain rules.

For example you are going to need :

• One clean bowl at least 4 ounces liquid capacity,
  • Apple cider vinegar, up to 3 percent of it,
  • Isopropyl alcohol, 70 percent of it,
  • Clean, empty bottle,
  • Small funnel,
  • Soft and clean cotton balls.

This is going to help clean your dog’s ears and prevent further infections.

Have a nice day! 

Well we need to determine are we talking about regular ear cleaning or are we talking about some particular ear cleaning because some ear infection appeared or your dog is experiencing some itchiness.

I, for example, clean my dogs ears on a regular basis and there is no need for me to use this mix of vinegar and olive oil. My dog simply never had ear problems and unlike many dogs, his ears don’t even need to be cleaned so often.

So, what are we talking about, regular ear cleaning or…? And how often do you clean the dog’s ears?

Thank you for all your answers. I will definitely try to make those mixes and see if it works for my dogs ears. I’d say his ears are sensitive (not that I have a reason to thinks so, but he is a sensitive dog, so I assume his ears are sensitive too). So I’ll try that mix that includes water, thank you for your suggestion @mia.

And I was talking about regular ear cleaning but I’m also not cleaning my dog’s ears too often.

He simply doesn’t need it. Whenever I notice he needs ear cleaning, I do it.

Ok, that’s what I thought. We are talking about regular cleaning.

Well, I’d say there is no need to use vinegar and olive oil when cleaning the dog’s ears, mainly because I’m afraid you might hurt your dog’s skin and you know how vinegar can be strong for the skin.

But since you said you don’t do it very often, I suppose you can use vinegar combined with olive oil from time to time and in very small quantities.

You don’t want to exaggerate and cause irritation to your dog’s skin. Sometimes simple water cleaning is enough and will do just fine.