I have family members who smoke marijuna around their young children pretty much every day. What kind of lonf term effect can this leave of the children? Is it as bad as if the children were smoking the marijuan themselves?

no probably not. if these parents are smoking weed in closed quarters (like in a car with the windows closed) with their kids may be slightly affected enough to catch some sort of slight buzz. its possible, but not probable.

when you think of the marijuana smoke, you must think "if second hand smoke from ciggerettes is as bad or worse than first hand, the same must pertain with marijuana.. but WAY WORSE! " .

well, that is the case. ciggarettes contain nicotine, which is only physically addicting. marijuana smoke, on the other hand, is cancer causing. That is not to say that there are no carcinogens (cancer causing elements) in marijuana smoke, because everything that combusts (burns) releases carcinogens.yes, paper, wood, etc.

The difference with marijuana is that THC actually stops growth and strength of the body and lung's ability to destroy cancer-causing cells. Delta-9 THC (the actual drug found in the cannabis plant) is also physically addicting (it deffinitely is physchologically addicting when used to cause constant intoxication [aka smoking when coming down before one is sober], causing a person to THINK they need to take the drug to feel normal. but that is irrelevant to the fact, seeing that the children would not be taking the drug themselves, therefore their brain could become addicted to something could not self administer anyway),

so the children would be getting hooked to the marijuana. i do not think it is healthy for parents to be smoking weed around their children though. i believe it is negative, and for these reasons:

IF these children are catching a buzz from this, it is possible that the psychoactives are promoting brain tumors in younger children. it also is not a good idea to smoke in front of kids because when the children decide to say something to someone, they will be taken by the government as if they were being somehow abused. smoking in front of your kids is irresponsible and you should have a chat with your relatives, and it is far worse than smoking ciggerettes.

Guest wrote:

Mm. I agree, my parents smoked pot around the house when I was little and my biggest problem is ADD. I think it's fine to do it, just make sure you're responsible enough to handle it around your kids. I think I had a great early childhood, even though now, looking back, it was quite obvious that my parents were smoking. I'm kind of glad actually, because whenever I happen to smell someone smoking it, I'm reminded of home. :D

I don't actually smoke myself. *shrug*

My son smokes medical marijuana grown at home. His alleged doctor gave him the directions on how to grow it. He also smokes in front of his children. My problem is that it smells really bad and it will harm my grandkids.

I also smelled mariuanna smoke growing up and it didnt affect me in any way, however it's more chemically potent than it was back then, because I have friends who smoke around their kids and they are off their rocker!!!!!! LOL

I dont know what planet you all are from but here in realityville smoking pot along with any other drug is horrible. How can you condone parents smoking cannabis around there children. I work in the mental health field and about 60% of the clientel come from homes with parents addicted and or using drugs. You dont have to hit your child to abuse them.

Whoa. I can't believe how unbelievably ignorant most of you all are. Did you know 1 joint has 50% more tar in it than a cigarette? And that smoking just 5 joints is like smoking an entire pack of cigarettes? Smoking marijuana around children is like asking them to smoke. There of course is the occasional exception but most of the time the children will begin and at a young age. You need to stop your family members from doing this because like someone else said before me, hitting your kids isnt the only form of abuse. You should all be extremely ashamed of yourselves for condoning such irresponsible and dangerous behavior.

I don't feel like parents should smoke anything in front of their children. Children are very likely to copy their parents, no matter what they are smoking. SMOKING (no matter what) IS BAD FOR YOU! why do you want to teach your children bad habits?

In Canada, it is illegal for you to smoke in a closed or confined space (like your car) with children.

When people get to a certain age (like the age where they will start hanging out with smokers) they should all ready know that ALL smoke is bad for you. the schools teach them that. once they know, it is ultimately their decision whether or not that want to be exposed to that. And don't try to tell me you can stop your children from smoking, they have ways of rebelling, but shouldn't you just be teaching and nurturing their fragile minds anyways?

As for this poor women who works in mental health, give her a break. What kind of monster do you think she is? I very much doubt (Unless she is an evil super witch working for a pharmacuetical company) that she likes to see people in pain. These mental health facilities are here to help people. Yes, having patients/ clientelle does secure your job stability, but its really sad to think of what most of those people have been through to get to that place.

This is one of those very two sided topics that could go on forever, like if weed should be legal or not.
No one will ever step down to admit that their side is wrong, and both sides will fill buildings with paperwork and studies and experiments to prove their points.

I don't smoke pot, I don't need too. I like my outlook on life enough that I don't feel the need to alter it. I haven't seen anyway that smoking weed will improve my physical or mental health, how it will keep me in shape, how it will improve my life. If my children ever smoke pot, or cigarettes, i will try to educate them thoroughly on both subjects, to make sure that they know all the risks involved.

How did you people are start smoking pot anyways? Did your parents smoke it in front of you? Did you not get educated about it? Peer pressure? Just because you wanted too?

how can you even smoke pot and think that you are better than a cigarette smoker? I've never heard of anyone crashing their car after smoking a cigarette.

I don't care about people smoking pot, like cigarettes, its your decision. however, explain to me this, if its so good for you, why is it still illegal? the government is not stupid, they see what a money making opportunity legalizing marijuana is. They know all the money they are losing out on by keeping it illegal. So please, wise tokers explain to me why?

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

Funny that... Considering THC is the plant with the least healing properties of ALL TIME. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

33% more tar in marijuana, than cigaretes. If someone had come on here saying "My relatives smoke cigarettes in front of their kids" you probably would have reacted in the same way.

If they are smoknig JUST marijuana (which sould not be legalised anyhow) then there IS that big an issue.

Um, hello people, you can vape pot, no smell, no smoke & no tar dur'h!

If smoking marijuana is worse than cigarettes, how come roughly 450,000 people die a year directly related to cigerettes, but NOBODY has EVER died from smoking marijuana.

I smoked marijuana for years without any lung or breathing issues, then I was an id**t and started smoking cigarettes at work, and within a few months i was experiencing shortness of breath.

make a gravity bong, load the bowl with marijuana and let it burn, once the smoke is gone the bottle will still be perfectly clear. Now load the bowl some some tobacco and let it burn. Once the smoke is gone you will see a yellow/brown residue coating the entire bottle... then try saying marijuana has "MORE" tar in it than tobacco.

***EDITED BY MODERATOR***

first off i would like to agree with "guest" in saying i do not condone any form of smoking in front children, or doing anything that could possibly be considered destructive behavior. to all of you people who seem to think they are cannabis experts, do your damn research yourself instead of regurgitating the "reefer madness" propaganda from politicians. and for the misinformed about cannabis here are the facts derived from personal experience and research into the many studies that have been conducted by the same people feeding you all the BS. THC is a plant with the least healing properties of all time? really? according to study's done by Harvard, NCI (National Cancer Institute) and many other medical organizations have found THC to be one the leading reliefs in cancer patients as far as prohibiting and diminishing tumor growth. cancer is just one of the many ailments cannabis has been found to relieve if not cure. also you can't get a buzz from it with 2nd hand smoke, therefore it doesn't work like a cigarette in the sense of negative qualities in second hand smoke. to the statement that "marijuana smoke is cancer causing" then why is it that it has been determined by many cancer research firms such as the National Cancer Institute, Medical College of Virginia, and the National Institute of Drug Abuse that smoking cannabis inhibits and reduces cancer cells? hell last time i checked inhibiting cancer means stopping it. and as far as it being phisically addictive, well that is completely ludicrous, though it may be habit forming it has never and will be physically addicting. and if you're are so worried about the tar, or the smoking part period then use a vaporizer which only burns the chemical compounds without combustion the plant, or you could eat it in baked goods. if you would like my references ask but if you're going to argue against me i will be all ears but expect the same courtesy of resources.

uh yeah, what the hell? Don't blow it in their face but otherwise its no different than when my folks would have a drink around me when I was a child. People always act so morally superior about pot. Let me tell you something, as far as harm to families, children, and society in general the legal and government sanctioned drug, alcohol, is the worst drug of all. Pot never hurt anyone...even a little bit. The only harm associated with pot is the harm the law does when persecuting innocent folks who never did any harm to anyone. And to the guy who said the "psychoactives" would cause brain tumors in kids....what the hell are you talking about you m***n? Here are some facts, from some reputable sources...

As a diabetic I'm very sensitive to my body and know first hand the benefit it has been to my condition (one diabetic friend about my age, whose blood sugar and health history differs from mine significantly only in that he doesn't consume cannabis is practically blind from the diabetes induced effect on his eyes). My doctor frequently comments that my eyes are unusually devoid of any sign of negative effects despite my many years of bad behavior...Plus, it's better than an aspirin for a headache, better than a sleeping pill for going to sleep, better than a drink before going to work or driving a car, great after a stressful day (or before one!), it's other effects on the body and brain are all beneficial, stress reducing...it has both stimulant and relaxant effects simultaneously, is a vasodilator...meaning it lowers blood pressure, and causes more blood to flow into the brain (kinda like Ginko Biloba....) and the penis (so not only helps you get it up, but enhances significantly many of the sensations of sex both physical and psychological!), is known to have heart benefits (and get this....) actually protects brain cells from damage because of the nature of thc, its like a fat that coats the cells... rather than kills them like alcohol and drugs. Almost all of the negative things you have heard about pot are propaganda, and are contradicted by the science (all suppressed in the USA, thank the dutch!). I mean just hit google for an hour and try to find how many stories you can find about it helping people undergoing chemotherapy eat again, or little old ladies keep all their pills and food down or glaucoma from acting up and any number of other positive bits of information, it's really endless, a panacea. Fact is, the booze makers, cigarette companies, aspirin, advil, tylenol whatever over-the-counter remedies for any number of daily ills would be put out of business by plants in your backyard. Not to mention the drug companies that make xanax, ambien, prozac, zoloft, viagra etc. etc. Paper mills. The loggers. The corn for ethanol and global warming dumbasses (pot makes ten times the ethanol per acre than corn, and absorbs more co2 than any other plant on earth...). The courts and cops and task forces who waste endless hours and loads and loads of money (to the tune of 10s of billions a year...) doing practically nothing to make it unavailable (I mean, cmon, its a plant, you can grow it in your closet, it's more readily available now than it was when the war on drugs started) are never going to render it unavailable...you have to ask yourself...who stands to gain from pot prohibition and who stands to lose.....? Isn't the answer to these questions so glaringly obvious that even the stuffiest old blue-haired mrs. Grundy at your corner church bake-sale can see it? So how is it possible that peoples' lives are still being destroyed by this evil persecution? Today, about 1 in 4 human beings consume or have consumed cannabis. That's a lot. You'd think we could get organized like the gay community did and others, right? Maybe there is something to that whole "demotivational syndrome" thing after all....oh yeah, I forgot about Micheal Phelps. I guess that's the final nail in that myth too. Legal pot is inevitable, but how many more have to suffer before this happens?

Although there is a larger percentage of resins(tar) coming from a marijuana joint then say a cigarette, but what about the toxic chemicals that each posses, before you babble off how ignorant and uninformed others may be. Show solid proof of arguments scientific judgment, not an estimate of average. Marijuana can be used resourcefully to create ethynol to fuel vehicles, or to creat such things as milk, medicine, clothes, ropes, also provide excellent nutrients and perfect air carbon release ratios for perfective vegetative growth for all plants. I'm also not saying that it is wise or even right to smoke in front of your children, quite careless if you ask me, but when it comes to questions obtaining to such serious subjects please be completely educated and unbiased without opinions of assumed averages.

smoking weed does not cause freaking brain tumors or cause cancer in anybody! when was the last time you heard of someone die from smoking weed, cause god knows its been around forever. so when ppl say that its harmful or bad well cigarettes are way freaking worse, addictive, and seriously cancer causing. and also we have special thc receivers in our brains so its not causing any damage. its called google, ppl, and you'll find out the truth about weed!

Anonymous wrote:

Children will learn that when they smell parents smoking pot that they may have to be more responsible for themselves cause their parents are to wasted to make them dinner or go to the shop to get some food. They will also learn that when their parents sit around and smoke pot it is the perfect time to do mischievious things cause no one is present.. Mum Dad are in la la land. They know their folks personality has changed and do their best to avoid upsetting them thus treading on egg shells and becoming overly in tune with everyone's moods creating anxiety in later years. you wanna smoke mull full time you may as well give up your kids cause it has heavy side effects on us otherwise pull your head in and do it occasionally when the kids aren't around