My daughter is four and has a huge clothing sensitivity. Her twin brother and older sister also have a mild case of it but nothing in comparision. I am constantly using sensitive lotion and even baby oil in their tub to try and help. I have removed all tags and decals, etc. and even tried undershirts. I have not changed my soaps and use senstive "everything". She sometimes has to change 7 times before leaving the house in the am. I am exhausted. Something that she wore yesterday will not be good tomorrow. I am allowing her to choose as it is worse if I pick the clothes. Underware is another huge problem. Most days she wears shorts or pj's if we are at home. HELP!

My dd is 6 and we're going through the same thing. We've been going through it, in one form or another, for a couple of years. First it was the socks, then it was the shoes that were and issue, she worked her way up to the pants "feeling to big" or "touching the back of my shoes", etc. Now she has issues with shirts. She, too, would change 5-10 times in the morning, because she could not find a shirt that's "comfortable." A shirt that was "comfortable" one day "feels funny" on the collar the next. At first I would stand at her closet and go through a million shirts, trying to be patient, because I recall doing this to my mother as a child. However, with 3 other children and schedules to stick to, I can not do that everyday. I told her that I will pick her first shirt (she wants me to), but if she does not like it, then she has to pick another one herself. Initially she would go through shirt after shirt, but last week I told her that I would still pick her first shirt, but she could only try two other shirts after that. She's had her share of meltdowns (last Tuesday being the worst yet), but I have hope that she will outgrow it (not a moment too soon!).

Hello Frustrated Mom! I feel your pain. I have a 7 year old boy. In all other areas he is very typical. However, we have been dealing with this clothing issue for years. First it was underwear. Then socks. Shirts with sleeves. Shoes ... oh my gosh! He always has an issue switching from pants (in the winter) to shorts (in the summer). Then, once again when the seasons change. I have found that he likes boxers best for underwear. We still have a problem with socks and shoes. I found socks that he will wear but Costco stopped carrying them and I am unable to find them anywhere else. We are currently playing Baseball (his 3rd season) and the uniform is such an issue. Unfortunately I am not able to accomidate his "clothing" issue because the uniform is standard. I have become so frustrated that I have contumplated not letting him play. He gets into total "freak outs" over his unforms. It then ripples down onto our entire family. I am just so tired of dealing with it. I truely believe that certain clothes bother him, but I am at a loss of how to constantly accomodate him. I looked up tactile disorder and is has so many other issues that I don't believe that he has that. Do you have any ideas that you could share to help ease the tension and "getting dressed time"?

For all of you who have children that are very sensitive to clothes, etc. I highly recommend them taking the supplement 5-htp. (sold in health food stores). One 50 mg. capsules daily can be broken open and mixed into a small amount of apple sauce, yogurt or the like. You will notice a diffence in your child in about a week. Their mood will change as well as the sensitivity; all for the good!!! My 7 yr. old daughter has been taking the 5-htp for 13 months and I can totally tell a difference when she misses a dose.

I am a therapist, and I work with children with Autism and Sensory Intergrative Dysfunction ages 3-7. I am starting a clothing line for children who have extreme sensitivity to clothing textures and cuts, and for parents who want to stop fighting with their kids about clothes, and who want to find clothes appropriate for varied occasions, that their children will actually want to put on (and keep on!). I have worked with numerous children who demonstrate challenging behavior as a result of being highly reactive to the touch and feel of their clothing. I have been working with parents, children, designers, and cotton experts/manufacturers to try and design clothing that will "work" for all children.

What I would like to hear from you in the Sensory community, are your personal stories with clothing, from your point of view, and/or your childrens:

What are your needs?
How is it challenging?
What do you wish you could find but cant?
What do you wish you could find easier?
What kinds of clothing do you wish you could find (occasion wear, school clothes, night clothes, undergarments, adult clothing)?
What are the most important elements you look for?(flat seaming/seamless? no tags? soft cotton?)

and more?

I want to base my product on what parents/children/people really want and need!

Please check out my website, www.softclothing.net , and/or email Jessica at _[removed]_ with ANY thing you would like to share about this issue!

And thank you!

Jessica

i used to have kinda the same problem, but only washing my clothes in DREFT fixed it for me.

It started at 9 mo if I put these little jeans on her she would throw up. I didn't make the connection right away but eventually when everytime I put them on she would puke I knew what it was.
By the time we started Kindergarten we were forcably holding her down to keep her clothes on her until she got on the bus. This last until 2nd grade. Every year it does get better but I am in tears thinking of how frustrated I am to not know how to do this. We had another problem this morning but I wasn't home. My husband let her wear shorts and it is only 45F out today. I brought her some gloves, socks, and pants up to school. Well, needless to say it ended with me feeling guilty that she was in teh bathroom crying while the other kids were in the hall. I do not wish to cause more problems with her peers, but I am not sure if it does her any favors to let her wear inappropriate clothing. I read this post and cannot believe I am not alone!

I have real problem with my 8 year old he has me and my wife running to every store ever ware !!!! he has got the same problem !!!! i don't now what to do. His school is a real problem to , they donut understand that this is not just made up in his head. I live in New York on long island its getting cold out now in the morning !!! its to cold for shorts and light t shirt!!! . I have take in him to the doctors and they just blow it like its nothing. one there thing bothers me and that exceptance from his class mates.

I have real problem with my 8 year old he has me and my wife running to every store ever ware !!!! he has got the same problem !!!! i don't now what to do. His school is a real problem to , they donut understand that this is not just made up in his head. I live in New York on long island its getting cold out now in the morning !!! its to cold for shorts and light t shirt!!! . I have take in him to the doctors and they just blow it like its nothing. one there thing bothers me and that exceptance from his class mates. is there anyone out there that can help me

I have a wonderful book called "Raising Your Spirited Child" which talks about kids that are "more" of everything including sensitive. This book has helped me soooo much with my daughter when she was having significant difficulties at age 3 and now she is 5 and for the most part surviving kindergarten... She has decided that she is going to wear the same clothes everyday and I think it is just eaier for her to drop this stressor in the morning. We wash the clothes every night. Our current outfit for the past month and a half is a pair of Hannah Andersson leggings with flatlock seams and a pima cotton long sleeve shirt (worth the extra money). We found seamless socks online and the only shoes she is wearing are fleece-lined crocs. We had to transition from flip-flops, tank top, and skirt from the summer and we did this by changing one item every two weeks and giving my daughter some control of when the last day for wearing an item will be. For the last month she was wearing her crocs with no socks and they STINK. We finally gave her the deadline to wearing socks and she gave herself two days to let it sink in and then she was successful. If you have a child that is more intense, persistent, perceptive, sensitive then get yourself a copy of "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. Another good one is "The Highly Sensitive Child" by Elaine Aron but this one is not as uplifting... Good luck with all your future clothing endeavors... You are not alone!

My 4 year old granddaughter is in preschool. She is very particular with her clothes. They have to fit just right and if she wants a particular shirt or pants that are not clean, she will cry, get undressed, and say over and over she wants that piece of clothing. Her mom and dad fight with her every morning. She has a thing with her socks too. They have to fit just so so on her toes and now she has this thing where she wants the ends cut off where the seam runs. My daughter called this morning and my granddaughter was screaming in the background. She wanted a pair of pink pants that I had at my house. She would not get dressed. They finally whipped her and did no good. They called me and I brought the pants and then it was a Hanna Montana shirt. We could not find that and I battled with her for thirty minutes. Finally my daughter got her to put on an outfit and I took her to school. Any suggestions?

My daughter has a terrible time with seams in her clothes. She used to have meltdowns every morning. It was a nightmare. Socks were the worst. She would put them on and tear them off because the seams bothered her. The seams had to line up perfectly on her toes. After so many morning melt downs I finally found smartknitkids socks online. They are seamless and didn't bother my daughter. It is so amazing! We are still working on the clothing seam issues, but it seems to be better. Now I'm looking for seamless underwear. Any suggestions?

my daughter has the same exact problem as your and is also 4 years old...Do you no what to do or were to go to get help for this problem??She is so sensitive she wont even let us put lotion on her.HELP PLEASE!!!!

i don't know if it's seamless but we finally landed on hannah anderson underwear for our son and it's the ONLY article of clothing he hasn't complained about (he's 4 now). the resistance really is draining isn't it? now that our younger child is 2 and shows none of these issues it's so obvious how hard all of this has been.

I have had the same problem with my daughter since she was 2; she is now 5 and will cry for 1 - 5 hours each morning when she gets dressed. The socks have to have the seam right on her toes with no bumps. The underwear tickles. Her panties are too big..... too little. The seam in the back is crooked. etc. etc. etc. I am about to go crazy. It is such a relief to read that other children have the same problem..... that I'm not just crazy even though I feel that way. We can not afford to buy any thing new just because something "tickles." I am at the end of my rope. I have tried telling her that it is not the clothes, that it is just in her mind, but she doesn't act that way. It is something very real to her. Something I cannot fix. Even at bed time, the blankets can't have any wrinkles, and the pillow has to be just exactly right (which doesn't happen sometimes!) It is such a relief to read all the other entries; even if it doesn't solve the problem!