Hi, my daughter is eight months old, and she is shaking her head very often. I don’t know what is wrong with her, she didn’t behave like this before. Is this some disease or what?

My baby has the same problem for several months now. She is shaking her head uncontrollably, usually once a day, but sometimes even more often. I saw some children with the same symptoms and it scared me a lot, because I realized that it could last forever. I took my daughter to doctor, and he said that babies often shake their heads back and forth. He said that it will probably go away on its own, but I’m not so sure about that, and I want to see another doctor for the 2nd opinion. If there is a treatment for this, I will find it. I heard about condition called Tourette's syndrome that is characterized by involuntary ticks, and I really hope that it isn’t what my daughter has. It’s very hard to watch your child suffer from something that you don’t know anything about, and not being able to help her.

Hello...I was just doing some research because my eight month old just started shaking his head back and forth. It seems like today he did it about 6 times. I'm wondering if it is just a fase or if something is wrong.

My son (8 months old) is doing the same head shaking. Similar to a NO head shake. I thought it was the length of his hair but he still does it after a haircut.

My eight month old just started this yesterday - seems like she is doing it over and over like she did with the hand clapping and waving. It almost as if she is imitating me because I shake my head when I say no. Hopefully it is a developmental phase. They seem to like to practice things over and over.

Could someone with knowledge on this topic reply to everyone above???

My son does the same head shake "No Way!" He does this when he is very happy, or excited.

Is this head shaking a symptom of anything???

my 9 month old daughter recently started shaking her head like "no" . She seems to do this when shes happy, or in a good mood, almost like shes imatating me. i'm a little concerned but what i have read is that it's pretty common in kids this age.

I'm relieved to see so many other babys this age are doing the head shakin' thing. My girl seems to be happy and pleased with herself when she does it, so it wasn't hurting her...but it did leave me wondering.

We have noticed this as a sign that our infant is getting really tired. We see this either at or about the same time she starts rubbing her eyes and getting fussy. So, when the she starts shaking her head no quite often...we know its about time for a nap.

HOWEVER, we have noticed this increasing in intensity over the past couple of days, even when she had just woken up. We did some reasearch and found some interesting things worth consideration. Check out this link, as it suggests head shaking in infants as a good indicator of ear infections!

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=21&action=detail&ref=989

"In an ear infection, fluid fills the middle ear. Older children often mention a feeling of fullness or decreased hearing in the affected ear. This is difficult to detect in an infant, but you might notice shaking of the head. "

We also found this...

http://www.prairiepublic.org/features/healthworks/kids/ear.htm

"Symptoms include ear pain, fever, irritability or, in older children, dizziness. Parents should also look for subtle signs, too, like decreased activity or appetite, or head shaking in infants or young children.'

Lastly, as I am one to over research things to death... found this...

http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/earinfections

"Signs of ear infections include ear pain, fever, irritability, or dizziness. Infants may give more subtle signs, such as ear pulling and head shaking. Infections most commonly occur in just one ear, less frequently in both."

imy 8 month old started this yesterday too, should i take her to the docs?

My daughter started shaking her head when she was about 8 months old. She did get a little fussy, but we thought it was the applesauce we had given her. We also thought it could have been because I am breastfeeding and on antibiotics. We are going to take her to the doctor. Better safe than sorry. She doesn't seem to be in pain though. She does put one hand up above her left ear though.

_[removed]_ any questions!

I too have an 8 month old daughter who does the same head shaking no thing. I was getting worried so I asked her father about it. I thought it was because when I told her no, I shook my head but her father then told me that she does it whenever she is tired. I started to observe her more and noticed that when she starts rubbing her eyes she starts shaking her head no. I assume that when she gets tired she tried to fight it off by shaking her head no. I hope this helps. It helped me because I was worried, thats what got me to this site. XD :-P

My 8 1/2 month old started this 3 days ago and also sitting against walls and banging her head into them %-) I was thinking Autism? But it seems very common now that I read all these post. But she has also been pulling at her ear. I better take her in for a look see

My 8 month old just started this head shaking thing, too. Looks pretty common which gives me some relief. Thank you for all the insight. I will be watching her more carefully.

My daughter is 9 months old, and she has also been shaking her head...either as a "no" or a "yes. She is developmentally on track for her age, and shows no pain while doing this. I was still worried so i looked it up in my "what to expect the first year" book and found that some babies do this as a comfort...kind of like they are imitating you rocking them. and it also says that it could be due to teething...which my daughter is doin now...her top teeth are coming in. it states that this habit could las a few weeks to a few years. It also states that in a normally developing child it is not associated with a neurological or psychological disorder.
All of the info can be found in "what to expect the first year" on page 441

hope this is of some reassurance and some help.

Allison