Hi, I need to know the answer to the question that troubles me very much. A friend of mine has a three year old child. He was developing with no problems at all. When he first started talking, his parents were so happy. However, it seems that there is something wrong. His speech has not progressed. He can express his desires trough simple words but is not answering to questions. What could be wrong?

Hi, I think it is great that you are caring so much about the child of your friend. The problem that he has can point to some conditions. First, since he uses simple words to describe what he wants, and is not answering to questions, even though he is three years old, it is clear that he has language delays. This is not as bad as it sounds. You see each child develops differently. This is especially noticeable when it comes to mental life. Some children progress continuously, while others take leaps. You should suggest your friend to take his three year old to the doctor. That would be the best thing that your friend can do. There is a possibility that the child is autistic. This is a more serious condition that demands professional help. The doctor is the only one who can evaluate the situation and, therefore, give the proper diagnosis.

I think it is ill-considered and irresponsible to suggest a possibility of autism based on a fact scenario posted on the internet of a few lines long.

I think that there is a great deal of fear-mongering, and, more perniciously, fear, generated as a result of internet diagnosis.

As a speech therapist I would advise any parent who is concerned about their child's speech language or communication skills to contact their doctor or seek an appointment directly with a speech and langauge therapist. There can be many reasons why a three year old is not answering questions when previously they seemed to have been developing normally, and while it is not appropriate to try and diagnose from a broad description given on the internet, it is helpful to gain information from trained specialists. If you are concerned on any level get that appointment - that is what we are here for, and don't worry if you aren't sure why your child does x or y, or what that you cant put your finger on what is wrong, we can help sort that out with you and give advice on how best to support those areas of your child's development.

Here are a couple of thoughts:

How much do the parents, etc. talk to him in complete sentences and how much do they require him to respond. These factors play a big role in language development for kids. However, there are cognitive factors. Do the parents have concerns? If not, and there is a language delay, that's another problem. They can have him assessed and go from there. I would advise a reputable assessment professional who has experience with children in his age group. I hope this helps.

Have the parents taken him in to see his pediatrician, or better yet, a speech therapist. Has anything tramatic happened within the family to cause a halt in development? Sometimes something fearful could have occurred and the child will stop communicating. I would start with the pediatrician and have them address all of the parental concerns.

How is the child doing now? Have the parents expressed their concerns at all. Were the situations helpful? Was there some trauma in the child's life that could have caused this delay? Although you don't want to self-diagnose using the internet, it is wise to get tips from there and then consult with a medical professional. You always want to consider all possibilities. It can't hurt, even if it sounds severe. It's better to ask rather than not. Please let us know how things are going.