My gynaecologist prescribed Yasmin as acne treatment. My results were fine and I had no problems concerning my genitalia. After three months of using Yasmin I got yeast infection. Is this caused by Yasmin? I’ve had yeast infection before, but this time it won’t go away. The doctor mentioned side effects, but he never mentioned yeast infection.

Unfortunately, yeast infections are quite common side effects when you are on Yasmin and some other birth control pills. It is easy for me to talk about it now, after four years of using various pills. The first time I decided to take it I was shocked when I got yeast infection, although nothing was wrong with my genitalia. I couldn’t understand it, so I went to my gynaeciologist again and he told me that yeast infections accompanied the use of bcp very often. He suggested the treatment and I got rid of the problem. But not for long!! I was on this particular pill for almost two years and I had suffered from yeast infection 10 times! I know it sounds incredible, but it is true - I counted. I got so used to it that I always had a variety of nonprescription medications at home, ready to be used. I knew that it was very difficult to find a good pill, so I stayed on Yasmin in spite of those infections. And things didn’t change when I had to switch to something else, just to let you know. You just ask your doctor to recommend you something and treat your yeast infection at home if Yasmin suits you in all other respects.

I hope you don't mind me asking but did you have any unpleasant odour with the yeast infections? I have been on Yasmin for just over 6 weeks and have been suffering recurrent infections down below with awful odours. I am sure it is due to Yasmin as I have never had them before. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi there, if you are having the smelly discharge, it is important that you go see your gynae. this could be another bacterial infection that you have. anything from gardenerella(vaginosis) to trichomniasis(sp) . unfortunately for us girls we got all sorts of bacteria living in there.-(