I noticed that not many people post how they are several months after haemorrhoidectomy, so I thought I would post my experience now it's 3 months after. Even though I've had complications, hopefully this will offer some hope.

I'm 25 and have had haemmorhoids for about 10 years I think. I had my haemorrhoidectomy in March. The pain immediately after the operation wasn't great, but bearable. I know many people most here explaining the pain is hellish, so I think I either had a fantastic surgeon or was a bit lucky. For the first 2 weeks there was a strong aching/pressure pain after a BM, but after 4-5 days this got less so each day. The severest pain went after about 1.5 weeks; it was more low grade pain/irritation which continued after that for 2-3 months. I had a couple of experiences that haven't been mentioned here much:

1. The main problem was not actually the pain, but more the fact that for the first 2 weeks I felt I needed the toilet *all the time*.
It also felt like I couldn't fully evacuate (I don't know if this was because I was not pushing or straining *at all*).

2. After one week I suddenly experienced a (painless) episode of sudden heavy bleeding and it seemed like clots came out. I went to A&E: the doctor put his finger up there (which was fun, 7 days post surgery!) but as there was no fresh blood, I was sent home. I still don't know what caused this sudden bleeding.

However, the day after this a massive swelling appeared that looked like a new haemorrhoid. I was devestated as thought I'd developed a new one. This swelling never really went away. To cut a long story short, I found out at my 8 week review that it was a big skin tag and not a new haemorrhoid. My surgeon explained that they don't like to cut away too much of the tissue from around the haemorrhoid as otherwise this can lead to anal tightening. He said he could remove this, but it would mean another operation under general anaesthetic as was quite large.

2-3 months after the haemorrhoidectomy there was no pain with BM, apart from a stretching feeling occassionally when BM was larger. However, I still experienced itching/slight soreness in two very specific points on my anus - this would usually happen when I'd been walking for about 20 minutes. I was convinced there were still haemmorrhoids there as this is what it felt like.

Two days ago I unfortunately had another operation (under general anaesthetic) to remove this skin tag, as it was large. So now I am recovering from that surgery, which is not anywhere near as bad as the first, but still produces a strong stinging pain for 10 minutes after BM. The surgeon did a full examination and there are absolutely no haemorrhoids still there, so he said the itching/pain must have been caused by the skin tag being pulled on as I walked.

To end, I think each haemorrhoidectomy experience is very different, but for me it was worth it. I was back to work after 2 weeks. Pain-wise I could have worked after a week, but practically you need to be near a bathroom and have baths after each BM (this worked better than the pain medication). I was also given a local anaesthetic cream to use before BMs called Instillagel, which worked wonders.

Hope this gives people some hope that the recovery, whilst not always straight forward, was certainly bearable.

Hi Chris, thanks for posting on your experience with the surgery because I think we all benefit from hearing about everyone's experiences here on the forums. The only thing that REALLY freaked me out is item #2 because that must have been very scary. I feel bad for you though because it sounds like you underwent two intense surgeries in a relatively short period of time so that must've been quite an experience. Thanks for sharing and feel free to keep telling us anything else you can think of that would be important to know!

Hi Chris.. Hi heath fit guy!
I just wanted to first of all tell you I'm sorry you had to go through another surgery! I hope you are doing well now? Second of all, thank you for posting this.... I'm only 5 weeks post op and still going through some pain and bleeding.. I've had complications all along the way but I'm healing, just slowly.... I'm just glad you recovered from your hemorrhoidectomy and you are back to work and healed from this. It gives us (the one's who are still recovering) hope that we will be back to ourselves and be happy we had the surgery! Thanks again so much, I really appreciate it!

Thanks both: these forums were a godsend when I was going through the haemorrhoidectomy. The thing about this surgery is that it's such an emotional ordeal afterwards: every day depends on BMs, plus new pains/symptoms develop. And you can't really talk to people about it.

The skin tag surgery is strange: you can't find much information about it online, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The pain after a BM is almost equivalent to that of the haemorrhoidectomy, which I didn't expect as there are no internal wounds. I guess a lot of the nerves are on the outside. However, it only lasts about 5-10minutes and then I'm fine again. So it's definitely bearable. Problem is, that I tend to go to the loo approximately 3 times a day!

3lovelykiddos: 5 weeks post op, I still experienced some pain with BMs. Occassional bleeding if it was a larger BM. But everyone is different, and healing takes it's time. The surgeon explained to me that it can take 2months to fully heal. I hope things get better for you soon.

The biggest advice I'd give to anyone about to go through the operation is adapt your diet beforehand. Work out what produces a really soft BM. It's not always the obvious: for example, wholegrain pasta (which is full of fibre) for me did the opposite. It took 2 weeks of experimenting after the haemorrhoidectomy to get it right. And after your op is not the best time to be experimenting!

Most people usually don't prepare with diets before the surgery. Usually they try to find what they can and can't eat. The best thing for the body system would be to get it used to diet that you will need after the surgery.
I'm interested if you would share your opinion what would be the best diet to prepare your body for surgery and post op recovery?

The doctors/surgeons should really advise you to alter your diet beforehand.

I think every person is different, so the best diet depends on each individual. What worked for me, might not for anyone else. But what I tend to eat now is:

Wholegrain toast
Wheatabix
Prunes or figs (work wonders)
Lots of apples
Berries: raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
Green beans and peas
Sweet potato (with the skins)
Brown rice
Hobnobs
Lots of herbal teas and water
Nuts and seeds (but only after about 3 weeks as these can be a bit painful coming out apparantly (though I've never experienced this).

I also found that I actually needed the odd non-fibrous food, to make everything work OK. So I eat the odd chocolate bar/cake each day and now and then a bit of cheese/white rice. I also ate fish and a bit of chicken.

I personally found wholegrain pasta and "Fruit and Fibre cereals" acually blocked me up a bit, bizarrely. Tinned vegetable soups are often surprisingly low in fibre, so avoided them. I limited myself to one cup of normal tea a day.

Initially I was also on one or two Fibrogel drink a day, but now don't need it as can regulate myself with just food.

But again- i think diet varies enormously per person- so it's trial and error for what works for each person. But I think genearlly a lot of fruit, veg and water is normally a good thing. I seem to need to go to the loo two/three times a day otherwise it gets hard, so need to keep ensuring I have loads of fibre to make this happen!

Thanks for posting this. I think that this is not a very hard diet. At least for me. I like most of these stuff. Like considering fruits, both prunes and figs are great. Apples I eat almost every day. Berries I really like but they are not on my list of common foods.
Even if every diet is a little personal, I think most of these things people eat after surgery.
Is this diet all your individual research or has doctor suggested you anything?

It's all my individual research: the doctor just said to eat lots of fruit and vegetables and the nurses advised not too much carbohydrate at first.

The other tip that helped a lot was leaning forward from my hips when on the toilet. Helps relax everything and reduces pressure.

I understand that you didn't have positive outcome with all food, but it is nice that you have managed to find a big variety of foods that are suitable for your condition. You made a really good diet list for post op recovery from haemorrhoidectomy.
Maybe you could post it in Food and Beverages Forum as a new Topic. I think that many people will find this very useful.

How do you mean lean forward when on toilet, just a little bit or lean as much possible?

3lovelykiddos wrote:

Hi Chris.. Hi heath fit guy!

Speaking of which, how is your recovering going? I know that you're still plugging along and still working on feeling better but I bet you're feeling 100% better than you did when you last posted. How is it going for you?

There are lots more foods I could add, including:

Vege sausages/burgers
Brocolli, cauliflower, carrots
Avacado, raw peppers

Etc. Will go with your suggestion and start a topic in the nutrition forum.

Re leaning forward: when I'm on the loo I lean forward from my hips, as far as is comfortable and lift my heals off the ground so pressure is on my toes. Seems to really help me. Feels like less pressure is on my colon than when you sit upright. A leaflet they gave me about the op suggested leaning forward from your hips when on the loo.

Chris, that's pretty good advice re leaning forward on the loo. I heard that the most optimal way to evacuate is by squatting and they even sell some platforms here in the states that you can stand/sit on so that you can go to the bathroom. I don't think I'd recommend that but it sounds like what you're talking about is pretty similar. Keep us posted on how you're doing! I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

I also have skin tags, so thank you for your post. As you'll see from my other post, I'm almost 4 weeks past my thrombosed hemorrhoid removal and I'm still hurting a lot during my bm's. My doc's vary with their answers on the skin tags, mine is not that large and the rectagel seems to have helped it kind of heal, get softer and smoother. I'm hoping to avoid the secondary surgery, but am still worried about internal hemi's right now. My original doc says that she has to go back in and stitch me up in a few weeks if I'm not completely healed. I cancelled my first vacation because this hemi came out 1 week before my vacation and I just rebooked today for end of Aiugust. I'm not convinced that I need to have it sewn up. As stated in my other post, Europe surgeons leave it completely open to heal and don't sew it up. Why can't I just leave it alone and I deal with the pain for another 4 weeks? Should I try enduring another stitch up?

My second opinion doc didn't even look inside, he just looked out the outside for like 5 seconds and said, "you don't have internal hemorrhoids." um, hello, how can you tell that w/out looking inside? I don't understand that at all.

What do I do???? I am also curious about what you said about the anal canal getting smaller. My father said that, is that just from the skin tag removal or is that normal with every hemorrhoidectomy? Maybe I misread something???? I feel like when I have a bm it is like glass cutting into me.

Sheekchic: sorry to hear things are still painful. To answer your questions:

Re skintags: I think whether you need another surgery would be up to you. It depends on how uncomfortable the skin tag is. My skin tag was large (just a bit smaller than a grape) and would pull/cause friction when I walked and cause my pain so I wanted it removed. A lot of doctors recommend living with them, but to reassure you the procedure is not too bad. If they are small, they can do them under local anaesthetic. Unfortunately mine needed a general, but I decided that if i'd gone through the first op, i wasn't happy still living with constant irritation and would rather a bit more pain in the short term and be fully pain-free.

Re internal haemorrhoids: what is making you think you have internal haemorrhoids? When they performed my haemorrhoidectomy they did a full examination of me inside, so they ensured they removed all internal haemorrhoids and any new ones which were forming. If they did this with you, i wouldn't worry. But even if small ones have developed, they are easier to treat initially with injections, etc, which are pretty painless.

There's a small risk with both the haemorrhoidectomy and less so with the skin tag removal of anal narrowing. I think it's to do with the scar tissue that forms when you heal, making everything tight. Apparantly it's if your stools are as thin as a pencil?

The pain of this op can take a while to resolve: hopefully over the next 2 weeks it will get a lot better as it heals. I hope all improves soon.

Healthnfitnessguy: i'm pretty flexible, so sometimes i do squat if it's a slightly more difficult BM, as I know that's supposed to be the best way of ensuring there's no straining and full evacuation.

Otherwise, leaning forward does seem to relax everything.

The doctors should really give you more advice post op on this kind of thing: i've found most of it out from the web, and you don't know how reliable a lot of information is.