Too late I researched patient accounts of their agony during the recovery stage of rectal prolapse and haemorrhoidectomy procedures. Not too late I saw that the 100 milligrams of paracetamol prescribed me as post operative pain killer was at best a gesture and at worst counter productive to effective recovery. So I hastily obtained a script for digestics and ramped up my resolve, meditation and other techniques to cope with the intense, intrusive and seemingly interminable pain that these procedures produce.

So here are some suggestions for you to consider using to help endure the ragged edged and blunt ended, near molten steel, seven headed hydra rammed up your kilt that you’ll experience for at least two weeks post operation.

1.            Exhaust all other treatment options and be very sure you understand the pain you will experience from rectal prolapse/haemorrhoidectomy procedures.

2.            Make sure your mind is in a good place and that you haven’t reduced pain tolerance or restricted immune or recovery responses from recent illnesses or conditions.

3.            Make sure you have waiting for you at home the scripts for the maximum painkilling medication available to you BEFORE you go into surgery. Any delay or hiccup in taking pain killers once you are home will be diabolical. You also don’t want to have to rely on friends or family members to go get the medication or have any delusion you might be able to transport yourself post operation to a the pharmacy to obtain it.

4.            Nb Also prior confirm that the pain killers don’t interfere with your anti-depressants, heart, blood pressure or other medications and that your are not allergic to the painkillers. And have waiting at least two weeks supply of these other medications.

5.            Likewise purchase before surgery stool softeners, osmotic laxatives, fibre supplements and haemorrhoidal cream and other skin soothers APPROVED by the surgeon/GP. The best creams provide local anaesthesia to you butt;

6.            Also have probiotics and other good bacteria replacement yoghurts and tablets available as the antibiotics prescribed for the first week of recovery will upset the balance in your stomach.

7.            Hire a sitz bath and buy refined not flake sized salt. Make sure the bath fits into the shower recess you will be using at home. You will become well acquainted with Herr Sitz Bath.

8.            Don’t compromise and get one of those small pseudo-Sitz baths that fit over the toilet. You will want to be sitting in a full size sitz bath with running water available, preferably by way of a hand held flexible shower hose. I found squirting my butt with the cold water that first comes out of the shower hose numbed the area and the warm water that soon flowed through helped ease the pain and cramps.

9.            Don’t be fooled by mild pain during the first day or two after surgery. The anaesthetist likely packed your butt with slow release pain killers. Once they wear off, prepare yourself.

10.        Try to have gas heated hot water or some other way of securing an endless supply of hot water. It won’t be beyond scope to use 2-3 hours of hot water a day.

11.        It possible, try to bed down an effective, relaxed, healthy, daily and reliable poohing regime at least two weeks prior to surgery. You don’t want to be trying to overcome long term constipation, irregularity, diarrhoea, etc as well as deal within the pain and disruption these procedures cause. This may involve regulating your diet and eating the same healthy boring foods in the same quantity at same time every day for at least two weeks prior and two weeks after. This might seem over the top and way too tedious but you will be praying for a quick easy and productive pooh every day for some weeks after surgery.  

12.        Have a radio, music, meditation tapes, books, magazines, crosswords, a laptop, writing materials, TV, DVD movies, new batteries in the remote/s and mobile phone with heaps of credit and anything else that will distract you from the pain and fill the hours you lay writhing in agony;

13.        Perfect your child birth breathing technique. I also found the ‘Mindfullness’ meditations and techniques helped, as did thinking about sex.

14.        Sleep is good. Laying on your stomach is good. Imitating a dead insect with legs in the air also helps.

15.        Tea making facilities in your bedroom will prove handy.

16.        Get six or seven large packets of sensitive non abrasive baby wipes and put a bin next to the toilet for collecting them once soiled. Get someone to empty the bin each day because it soon stinks. Very soft toilet paper also comes in handy to pat dry areas after using the baby wipes. 

17.        Book out your bedroom and ensuite and have your spouse, children and other members of the household understand you have first, immediate and hopefully exclusive right to use these parts of the house. NB Imperative your bed mate sleeps in the spare room or elsewhere because you can’t share a bed during recovery.

18.        Invest in several different sized pillows and comfortable easily washed bed linen.

19.        Bribe your youngest child to reheat the heat bag and swap over ice packs at a moments notice.

20.        Also ensure you know how to use the room air conditioner if installed and that you have sufficient blankets and warm bedding. The effort of combating the pain can leave you intolerant of cold;

21.        BTW I had bouts where my feet were like lumps of ice, regardless of room temperature. My theory is blood flow was concentrating on my nether region so no circulation to extremities like feet;

22.        I found a Swiss ball handy but didn’t have a donut (rubber cushion). I read with amusement another sufferer found the donut completely useless for their bum but damn handy as a head rest when laying in the bath. I sometimes used the Swiss ball on the bed because I found laying on my back with feet and bum off the bed helped. By end of week three, I went and got a donut to help me sit for more than a few minutes.

23.        Tee up your spouse, children, other family member, friend or carer to do daily washing of your towels, bedclothes and sheets. It isn’t so much that you soil them, it just reduces chance of infection and makes you feel good to use fresh clean things each day.

24.        A starter pack of incontinence pads will give piece of mind once the worst of the recovery is over and you want to start walking to aid recovery.

25.        If you are an atheist or agnostic, prepare to reconsider. If you believe in a God, make sure your account is up-to-date and in good order. However, not even God seems to have the resources to help.

26.        Accept that there is no reset button and your decision to have these procedures stopped being reversible once the anaesthetist put the mask over your face.

27.        Pay in advance all bills that will fall due during the recovery period in advance and clear the decks of all commitments and as many worries as you can. You will have no capacity to deal with these matters.

28.        It does you no good to realise that you paid to have this done and it possibly cost a lot of money to experience some of the most profound, pervasive and prolonged pain you will ever encounter.

29.        Identify a major reward you will treat yourself to once back on your feet. Dream every last detail of the pleasure this reward will provide to help you endure the pain.

30.        Counter unimaginative jokes from siblings and colleagues like: putting a pile of trouble behind you; finally getting to the seat of the problem; don’t worry the pain will soon bottom out; with offers to provide signed photos of the affected area.

31.        Have a small mirror handy as you need to check for infection and see what is going on. Be prepared for a shock as a large area around your anus will be black blue and/or red.   

32.        Write down as they emerge but don’t publish all resolutions, epiphanies and ideas for a better healthier happier life. Whilst many will be insightful and long overdue, the extreme pain may cloud your judgment on how best and when to action these resolutions.

33.        Post feedback on buying and wearing a t-shirt that reads ‘I conquered old blood river’ so you can proudly display your ability to ensure the unendurable.        

34.        Don’t bother trying to find someone who has had these procedures done more than once. Most likely they are fibbing or had Alzheimer’s for some time. (Apologies to anyone who has had to endure this ordeal more than once for emergency or other unavoidable reason).

35.    Get someone else to undergo the treatment on your behalf and swap butts when it all done.

Haemorrhoidectomy and delorme's procedure for rectal prolapse now 4 weeks and 1 day post surgery.

Finally and gladly, i'm getting my life back. This morning I completed two bms within an hour at a reasonable time and both achieved without tears coming to my eyes. This gave me the confidence to drive an hour to visit family and spend 90 minutes helping my 82 year old father buy mum a new car for her birthday.

I'm still taking medication every 4 hours-not so much for the pain which can still grab me but to help reduce and keep down swelling in my back passage.

The last four weeks have been a blur and hard to believe 29 days have elapsed. Sometimes it feels like just the other day i was getting out of hospital (day surgery). Other times it feels 100 years ago and my life has solely consisted of sleeps, strains, sitz baths, unbelievable pain and hours spent laying belly down on the bed. 

I feel I'm now back at the same place I was before surgery but 1 month of pain and $1500 poorer. I still have a sore bum that constantly sending signals time to pooh (whether i really need to or not), toilet trips are dreaded for fear of pain and blood on the paper and my life governed by proximity of nearest toilet. However much of this misery was due to the rectal prolapse; the haemorrhoids only really making for painful 'exits' if you know what i mean.

I will post the much anticipated progress I make from here. Hopefully I can soon report less signals to go pooh; less fear, pain blood and much less preoccupation with availability of nearest toilet.

Strangely, can't see many posts from people about benefits of haemorrhoidectomies and delorme's and similar procedures. Hopefully this means people are too busy now enjoying their lives to bother posting. If you have a success story, please post details.

Very important. Do NOT stop taking pain killing and other medication as your symptoms ease. Most of these medications work best when taken before pain, swelling and muscle contractions/spams occur and are largely ineffective after. So reducing or stopping medication may result in prolonged pain etc or worse a return to the unbearable agony suffered in the first few days after surgery.

onceistoooften wrote:

hi all, Well I'm a day short of six weeks since I had the external perianal hemorrhoidectomy and delorme's procedure. Reluctant to express discouraging information because anyone reading about these procedures needs hope, reassurance and sound advice that helps them recovery. So I will do my best to put a positive spin on my experience.

For reasons unknown to me, my surgeon and/or his recptionist did not automatically book me in for a post surgery review-at any time. Given what i now understand about the seriousness nature of these procedures, the patient's trauma and the risks and possible complications, it should be mandatory for the specialist to conduct a post surgery physical review at weeks 2, 4 and 6. so my advice is book these appointments when you book in for the surgery. If the specialist won't agree, go to someone who will. It might seem over the top but such appts are much more easily cancelled if not necessary than they are to obtain (even begging doesn't work!!!) if you need some urgent help or reassurance all is recovering well. And almost certainly, you will want some assurance if not some more technical help or advice. Don't accept the specialist saying your general practitioner can help you and review things at weeks 2,4 and 6. The reason the GP referred you to the specialist is because the GP doesnt know enough about all this stuff so how can they help ýou and provide reassurance etc.?!!!

Before you have any of these procedures, book in and obtain help from a physiotherapist who specialises in pelvic floor and related areas. Despite what the medicos claim, hemorrhoidectomies and similar procedures will upset the tone, balance and functioning of your pelvic floor muscles and how your body manages its bladder, bowels and other plumbing works. Very useful if you have a professional and experienced qualified person assess your starting point in these areas pre surgery. This way you have reliable data about the mayhem done by the surgery and consequences of the pain, cramps and spasms that occur post surgery. This means post surgery the physio can assess and identify which things to target to aid recovery. AND if you are really lucky, they may identify a problem that if rectifed, may mean you can avoid having a hemorrhoidectomy or similar procedure.

Lastly, find out from the physio how to poop correctly and try and perfect your technique prior to surgery. From what I have read in many blogs, advice lines , professional literate and reports, most people do NOT poop correctly . The causes include poor technique, poor posture, insufficient daily exercise, poor diet and insufficient fibre and water intake. And it is almost certainly a major cause of you needing to have a hemorrhoidectomy. And believe me, you only ever want to have a hemorrhoidectomy once in a lifetime and better still not at all. Hopefully, I will have happier tail and tale to report soon.

Hi i am so glad you are making progress,i had a delormes three years ago which was great, but, now it has all come down and i am reminded of how awful it all is, i shall manage for as long as i can, the options are another delormes or a more invasive op through my belly, which lasts for longer at least life hopefully

Almost a fortnight since my delormes/haemorroidectomy and three days ago the pain hit me like a sledge hammer.  No one warns you that you will have inflammation causing spasms and cramps with gas and bowel motions.  I thought I had it under control and started to reduce the pain relief with disastrous results.  I am now taking tramadol which has the pain under control better but causes dizziness and a bit of nausea.   Nevermind, surely it can only get better.

Dear Frances

Sorry to hear about your ongoing pain ! Did you have a mucosal rectal prolapse operation?

Dear Carolyn

Did you hav a rectal mucosal relapse andhad a Delormes procedure? How can one have a rectal mucosal prolapse end of re gum operated through belly ?

Hi im a 24yr old female. Oh gosh i found your tips too late while im currently still in healing stage. My doctor did nt prepare me fr involuntary bowel mvements which comes every few min. I thought i would be up n about after 6days. But im still lying in bed n trying to minimize walking, as gravity seems to make BM activated But im glad to knw my symptoms are all part of healing.

Fantastic article - I am 6 days post procedure and the description of a molten steel, blunt ended, 7 headed hydra shoved up your keester is just so scarily accurate - I thought that I would be able to go back to work after 2 weeks , but that hydra is not only alive and kicking, but has recently developed a thousand needle sharp teeth that are continually injecting in to me without warning -Just hoping that the pain is managable after 2 weeks

Now 17 days post procedure and want to reassure people it does get better. I have been able to ditch the Endone tablets in favour of panadeine - Have kept up with the fibre as advised but have ditched the osmolax - BO's are mostly once per day ( Still get bad cramping tho) Actually feel more like myself and I am returning to work next week - Phew for a while there, it really was hell

Hi. Just wondering how u r doing now. I just had delormes procedure and are 3 weeks post op and need to have bm every time I stand up. Argh. Hoping you can give me some feed back on your recovery. Thanks. Bonza