My father, a 64-year-old-man with ulcerative colitis had surgery on April 10. His entire large intestine was removed. He has had a number of complications since the surgery. He is filled with infections (two different strands of bacteria). They have changed the antibiodics and have a new bag (not the colostomy) draining the infection. However, when he stands up, the infection pours out of his incision. Why in the world is this happening??? Has this happened to anyone before? He thinks he is dying. Two days ago, his doctors started him on food. He has no appetitite, but we are forcing him to eat for fear he will die if he doesn't gain enough strength. Please if you have any information about infections after a coletomy and what is going on with my father (or his surgeons),please help.

Wow...This sounds so awful for your dad and for you (to watch him suffer like this). I would advise that you get a second opinion immediately, if he has not already. I sincerely hope that his symptoms have gotten better by now. If not, get him somewhere else. I don't know the particulars of this type of surgery, but this sure doesn't sound normal. Even if he's better, perhaps he should still get to a teaching hospital that is known for its work in this area. I hope you dad's spirits are better too. Please let me know how he is doing now.