Is the surgery painful? (laparoscopic surgery..)

How long is the recovery?

Are there long term problems?
- pains
- flatulence
- weight gain/loss
- diarrhea

Advice urgently needed! thanks!

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I had a total colectomy back in 1991 when I was 26 years old. Sure, the surgery was painful but I was out of the hospital in 4 days. Besides having UC, I was a healthy, fit person so the recovery went okay - not great but I survived. Just GET THROUGH the surgery and focus on your future.

In 1998, I picked up the sport of running even though I was concerned that I wasn't able to do so because I would dehydrate. Never ever use your colectomy as an excuse for something you cannot do. I say this because since 1999, I have run 19 marathons, 12 triathlons and in two weeks, I am going to finish (well, let's hope) my 2nd Ironman.

Bottom line: have the surgery and expect pain -- remember this temporary pain. Close your eyes and vision a life free of long-term, chronic pain!! Steal my mantra if you wish "This Too Shall Pass".

Anne

hi and thanks for the answer..sorry i replied so late!

I had a total colectomy in 2007. My entire large intestine/colon was removed ... all 5' of it was completed rotted. My surgeon connected my small intestine directly to my bowel. The operation took 7 hours and I was in the hospital for a week. The first several months following the surgery was trial and error depending on what I ate. At first there were 4-6 BM p/day. As time went on - the number of BM decreased. They are always different in consistency - again, depending on what I eat. Some days there is pain where the connection was made and constipation at any level is definitely painful. Certain foods can cause pain. I lost 20 lbs following the surgery -but gained 20-25 lbs back. All in all, it was all worth it - my life is at a better place post-surgery.

I had a total colectomy with a J-pouch two years ago, right before my 22nd birthday. My surgeon refused laproscopic because he said it would add 7 hrs to my surgery, so I have a scar that goes half ways around my belly button down with another small one to the side of it from were I had the bag for two months while the small intestine healed. Life after it is sooo much better.  In total I had three surgeries, one to remove the colon, one to reconnect the small intestine after it healed and a third a year later for scar tissue removal. While I had the bag I hated it and begged the dr. to take it off asap. My doctor said he would have a dietition come talk to me before I left the hospital, but that never happend, so I learned on my own what was ok to eat and what wasn't. I don't eat anything to spicy or seasoned because it burns when it comes out. I also don't eat to much dairy, salad, runny soups, or to much juice, because it causes me to have more bowl movements. Beans also aren't the best because it causes a lot of gas. At first I had 10-15 a day and questioned whether it was worth it, but its down to 1-3 a day as long as I stay away from the food listed above. I would recommend a colectomy to anyone who has ulcerative colitis, life after gets so much better. Before the surgery prednisone was the only thing that would help calm the bleeding, but I was on it for three years and the dose kept increasing, I started at 5mg a day and by the end was at 60mg a day. I went from 115lbs to 170lbs. I lost most of the weight shortly after surgery, but I am currently 140lbs and loving life.

Any one considering surgery, I wish you the best of luck.

It was not as painful as you would think. Sure, I hurt for the first couple of days but it did not take long to start feeling better. I had my surgery 13 years ago and my incision goes from above my naval all the way down my belly but the surgeon did not have to cut through muscle since it was vertical. My hysterectomy hurt way worse than that. I was back at work after 4 weeks recovery. Did not lose or gain weight afterwards. All blood work in the past 13 years has been good except for vit D and I just take a supplement.