Just wanted to put this information out there in case any post colectomy patients are interested. I am in my 40's and had a "Open Total Colectomy" in Aug. 05...I had a horrible problem with gas and the pain from my abdomen being too 'Boggy". My small intestine just couldn't elimanate the gas like normal people do...someone on this site mentioned having a "Abdominoplasty" which is a internal corset...it is experimental and not covered by insurance but I was willing to try anything. I had the surgery in Feb. 06 and it has turned out to be a huge help...the corset forces the gas either up or down but wont allow the gas to stay in my small intestine. The surgery takes about 6 hours and then you must wear a "second skin" binder for some time...still wearing mine at 10 weeks post-op. But that varies from patient to patient. I have had two abdominal surgeries prior to this one for my transverse and ascending colon and then one for the descending and sigmoid ..they had tried to save the later but a second surgery had to be performed. Making the abdominoplasty my third open abdominal surgery, so I will be a "worse case" as far as wearing the binder goes. I know most people are just glad to be recovered form the "colectomy" and wouldn't look forward to yet another surgery but it did work in my case and I just wanted to voice my progress in case anyone needed this information or advice.

Community Administrator
Thanks T for sharing your expereince with us! I am sure many people will find it useful! I hope you will be fully recovered soon!

Best of luck
Billy

Hello T3158 - I am hoping you will see this and maybe we could txt. I had a total colostomy and am now suffering with the gas, bloating and a lot of extra weight gained since. I would love to talk more and see how you are doing now. Thank you