My sister is about to have colectomy done and I will stay with her for a while until she gets better. I have a question regarding her diet after the surgery. What she can and cannot eat? Thank you

You could avoid food that is associated with increased bowel movements like apple juice, raw fruits, raw vegetables, popcorn, seeds, nuts, beans, corn, beer, caffeine, chocolate, milk & milk products and spicy foods. Post-colectomy patients can eat almost anything except raw vegetables and fruits. This is called soft diet. She should be on this diet until her first check-up and then a doctor will probably evaluate her condition and tell you what to do next. I am actually sure that her doctor will tell you everything you need to know about the after-treatment.

Hello suderman, 

Your sister’s doctor will definitely give her very detailed instructions on what to eat after the colectomy procedure. Immediately after surgery, she won’t be able to eat anything, even though she will get the nutrients she needs through the IV. After this, she will be able to drink and eat only the mildest foods such as gelatin.

This obviously is the toughest part, the days immediately after the colectomy. As the times goes on, your sister will be able to eat more and more foods, still without fresh fruit and vegetables. She will basically need to avoid all foods that are high in fiber content and the foods that are harder to digest. I hope your sister will recover soon!