My husband had his entire colon removed 10 yrs ago, had a colostomy bag, now a "J-pouch" which is working like a charm..A MOST EXCELLENT Dr. in San Fran named Dr Stricker, if anyone needs the best care. He was awesome!
I'm interested in what, exactly, the colon does (regarding diet) and what nutrients (like minerals/vits) ha may need to suppliment now?

I'm not surprised that it has been over a year since you posted this and so far have received no answers. I too have had my colon removed and am living well with my "j" pouch. And, it seems, like you and your husband, no one seems interested in supplying any of us with nutrition information. I will share with you what I have learned:

The colon is responsible for absorbing water and quite a few vitamins and minerals. This has made taking a vitamin a must. Time release isn't a good idea since most of the pill will not be used and will be eliminated rather quickly. Liquid or chewable seems to work the best. If frequency is a problem eat mashed potatoes. They seem to slow down the elimination process somewhat. If you are eating a vegetable from the cole family (brussels sprouts, brocolli, cabbage, etc) use a digestive enzime like beano, which will help prevent extra gas. Hope this helps some.

Thank you for the information. My husband may soon need his colon removed due to constant recurrance of polyps and a bleeding growth the doctor just found. It is hard to find information and I am glad to see that both posters here have had good luck with the "j" pouch. Thanks again.

My son (20 years old) had his colon removed almost three weeks ago and has the j-pouch as well. We are very thankful that he didn't have an iliostomy, temporary or permanent. He has been diagnosed with Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) and as a result he also has polyps in his small intestine and duodenum. He is still taking anti-inflammatories for the post-surgery pain, but they are very hard on his system. I know cherries are a natural anti-inflammatory, but I don't know if his system will tolerate them as he is still having bowel movements throughout the day. Does anyone have any experience with this? I think I am going to try to find a holistic healer who can help as I have less than one month before he moves back to school, 500 miles away.

I had mine removed over 18 years ago and you all are right Drs. are not interested in what happens to the person AFTER the colon is taken out. They had to do emergency surgery on me. Here is what I have learned. First of all it is possible that you have food allergies that caused the irritation in your colon to turn into Crohns or Ulcerative colitis. Over a period of many years food allergies can cause the colon to ulcerate. I have found out that I have over 90 some food allergies. I also find that if I eat veggies I am in a WORLD OF HURT and my ass is chapped! So it is very sad but I have had to stay on a lot of carbs. However carbs drive the Triglycerides up so I have had a blockage in my artery and panceratitis from Very High Trigs. I have tried to just be on meats and carbs and that makes the trigs go even higher, I have tried just veggies and of course within a few days I almost have a blockage. This is the key, a JUICER! You can juice MANY of your key veggies into a juice that you can drink. Then eat your meats broiled, cook any other veggies until they are so soft that they fall apart. Stay away from watermelon, Citrus Fruits, Pop Corn, Corn, Corn Products, Drink LOTS of water and other NON-SUGAR Drinks. Since you do not have a colon sugars and carbs that turn into sugars go through you system and straight into your tissues. Meaning you will get cellulitis like I slightly have from the sugars not being broken down properly. You will tend to crave sugary things because you are needing nutrients. So yes do take liquid vitamins and chewables. DO NOT stay in the sun long without consuming LARGE quantities of water or you WILL dehydrate and be in the hospital within 24 hours! Try to not catch the flu STEER away from it because when you dehydrate you will be in the hospital for days. I have almost died from the flu before. These type of colon problems are considered Auto Immune so you may end up being diagnosed with many other auto immune conditions. Since the surgery my thyroid shut down from Hashimotos, I have Interstitial Cystitis, Vitiligo, Celiac and Fibromayalgia and they wonder if I have Lupus not sure yet. I have not been able to master my diet yet either I know what to do but because I am allergic to so many foods I can not juice them. So I am very restricted and end up eating the carbs because that is what agrees with my small intestine. Good luck on your journey and if you need anymore information contact me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use Blessings! Above all God is in control and will help by giving you wisdom during your journey. Massage therapy, yoga, walking and more will help you digest properly. Remember that if you were not in this situation you would not meet the people you that you will meet by being sick so use your situation to be a positive influence in someone elses life. I have been from Tennessee Drs at Vanderbuilt St. Lukes System, to Mayo Clinic in AZ. and have met many people that I have been able to encourage and if I had not een sik I would not have been there to meet them.

Eating carbs, bread, mash potatoes, mac and cheese will slow down his going