Hi, my 5 year old son got rashes all over his body, especially on legs and arms. I didn’t take him to the school today; when I cold they told me that many other children are missing too and that there have been outbreak of 5th disease. What can I expect to happen next?

My child also had 5th disease when he was 8 years old. A first he had fever, headache and runny nose for a few days. I though it was just a cold, but after a week his face was
flushing and soon he got rashes all over his trunk, legs and arms. When red blotches start to disappear the illness is ending. The illness is also called slapped cheek disease, because of the look of the cheeks. It’s viral infection, and since it’s a mild illness no medications are used. The doctor only gave us a lotion o prevent itching. After about 2 weeks the rash was gone. The disease is contagious only in the incubation period, before the rash appears.