I`m 25 and recently was diagnosed with scalp psoriasis called guttate psoriasis. This condition was caused by a bacterial infection, and now I have those small sores, drop-like scaly patches on my scalp. My doc told me that it could be a single outbreak that will go away on its own, but also a repeated episodes as well. He gave me some cream containing salicylic acid. So, I was wondering is there somebody with experience who could tell somethnig about the treatment. I have to go seeing a doc again, if my scalp condition doesn`t improve in a few weeks.

Hi. My father had scalp psoriasis, but he had sores not only on his scalp, but on his arms and legs as well. Psoriasis is a skin disease which runs in the family. It`s not contagious. Guttate psoriasis in many cases go away by itself. Important to know that psoriasis of the scalp often leads to lesions on the face. About the local treatment, you have creams and ointments containing tar, salicylic acid... Topical therapy includes tars, anthralin, corticosteroids, etc. So, you have topical cortiocosteroids gels, lotions, oils and shampoos (they worked on my Dad`s scalp). Those products work quickly, within 1 or 2 weeks, but a long-term use can result in losing their effectivenesss. Oral meds are not required for scalp psoriasis, but may be used if you are a tough case.