Hi there,

I wonder if someone could please help with this...

Basically for a while now I've noticed these small red dots inside my cheek that appear and disappear sometimes. There are times when I don't have them and sometimes they just appear out of nowhere.

On two occasions I've had  a red blothcy like rash also appear on one side of my inside cheek. The rash isn't sore but it's red and does look as if it would be painful. When I get this rash the skin inside the cheek that it's on feels rough (almost like sandpaper) and my throat feels strange (kind of dry).

After a few days it tends to go away but then the dots appear and disappear from time to time. So it seems that I will never be cured from it as I don't know what's causing it.

I've been to the doctor about it and showed them a picture of it on my phone (as I didn't have the problem that day). And they thought it might be a vitamin deficiency.

They gave me a blood test for it and it came back fine and the doctor said she wasn't sure what it is...

Does anyone have any idea what this is as it's starting to worry me :(

Here are some pictures of the issue -

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/194/imag0090.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5937/imag0091h.jpg

Thanks for your help!

You have provided the complete information for this. I just wanted to know that can home remedies would work in this kind of diseases...

Sorry I don't know what you mean?

Does anyone else know what could be causing this?

Can anyon help with this?

I've got it again and it's freaking me out!

Did you ever figure out what this is?

I have been having the same issue for nearly the past year. The first time it appeared I had the area biopsied and of course the doctors told me it was nothing (benign) since then it has disappeared and reappeared several times. Currently I have these patches on both cheeks. I read that the Crest Pro Health toothpaste (which I was using) came sometimes produce these symptoms. Its been about a week since I stopped and I dont really see any change. I'm at a loss and REALLY want to know what the hell this is!

Lee

Hi Lee,

No I still haven't found it what it is and nobody seems to know :(

Hopefully someone can help us!

Where did you read about the toothpaste thing? Do you have a link?

Thanks

What did they test for when the doctor took a blood sample?

Wish someone would find out soon!! I too have this going on for a month and no answers :/

The exact same thing you described just happened to me today. Hopefully we have something related that could've caused it. Maybe someone reads this and writes a two min "guess" tonight. It's freaking me out cause all I see online is cancer related. I'm hoping it's an infection of some sort although I'm not in the medical field. I'll be as descriptive as possible. I"m a 31 year old faithfully married man, exercise frequently, don't smoke but drink like a fish on the weekends and sometimes during the week. I ate shrimp and crab legs for dinner last night with a diet pepsi, brushed my teeth and used mouthwash, then went to bed. I woke up, nothing wrong, brushed my teeth used mouthwash, went to dunkin donuts and got a small turbo coffee, went on a four mile jog in the cold woods, went to a deli for a roast beef sandwhich(lto, mustard, on wheat), paid the cashier who was literally covered in a dark red rash, (still no symptoms), five min later I"m at home and get halfway through it before spitting it out and trashing it due to the fact that I felt bumpy sores on the sides of my cheeks with my tongue(not painful). I guess I should note that last week I had a minor sore throat that came with heartburn and a feeling of indigestion. So I guess I'll go to the VA tomorrow and sit there all day to either have them tell me it's nothing or it's something. I'll check back on here before I go to bed and then again tomorrow if I here any news. Good luck.  

Just got back from the VA. The pictures above looked exactly like mine. It's a very mild viral infection that goes away on it's own. No medicine will cure it. Two weeks it should be gone. If this is recurring for you, I would suggest you take a close look at everything you did prior to getting the sores to try and prevent it fom happening again. Good luck.

Very interesting. About a week ago the inside of my mouth started to feel like sandpaper and I have all off these tiny painless bumps. I also have a dry cottony mouth.Today I noticed a few small red dots, like broken blood vessels. The back of my mouth looks particularly red and irritated but no pain. The condition is mostly just very irritating because my mouth feels like sandpaper.

I also use Crest pro toothpaste, my family is prone to allergies (peanuts, bees, strawberries), although I haven't developed any allergies (yet). And I am just finishing a nasty week long cold that included a bad cough and incredible sinus congestion. And I drink like a fish.

So, I'm going to drop the toothpaste, try swishing some medicated mouth wash and if it doesn't get better go to the doctor.

I'm curious Jack, you mention the VA and I happen to live in a big military town. Any chance you are in Northeast Florida? Just wondering if there may be a local virus going around.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I haven't replied in a long time. I actually forgot about this topic and haven't checked it in a while.

I don't really have many updates about this apart from that it's still happening. As discussed before I went to the doctors and they did a blood test for a vitamin deficiency but the results came back fine and they told me they weren't sure what was causing it.

There are days when things are fine and there are days when it flares up. I've had it for a few years now and it really is quite worrying as I really wish it would just go away (or I wish I knew what was causing it).

Another thing I would like to mention is that I also have these yellow kind of spots inside my cheeks and around the corners of my lips. After doing some research I found out they are Fordyce Spots.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Does anyone else have these also? I just wondered if the Fordyce Spots and the Red Blotches are related?

I don't think it's an allergy that's causing the blotches or anything that I'm doing differently. But one thing that I can only think of and is quite worrying is that all of this started happening after I first became sexually active.  My mouth used to be fine and then all of a sudden I get the red dots/blotches and Fordyce spots a few weeks after my first encounter.

I've been for STD tests (HIV/Chlamydia Gonorrhoea/ Syphilis) and all came back negative. I have been reading about Oral Herpes and thought it could maybe be that. But the symptoms of that are cold sores and sores in the mouth which I don't have (as the red blotches aren't painful in any way).

Still not sure what this is and neither do the doctors :(

I have the same issue. I went to the doctor and was told it was a virus and should go away in 7-10 days, which it did. I just got it back one week later. I also use Crest Pro Health toothpaste. I will have to try a different toothpaste and see if it gets better.

Have you aske your doctor if this can be related to lupus? Some people with this illness are prone to have mouth ulcers....

No, I've been to my doctor again and he gave me pills for acid reflux as he thinks that might be causing it. I've taken the pills for a few days but had to stop as they were causing an upset stomach. I don't think it's an acid reflux problem at all and still don't know what's causing it.

P.S. It's not mouth ulcers I have it's just the red blotchy marks.