I have 8 year old son and lately I have heard something that made me worry. His friend has some infection they call Fifth disease. I was asking if that is contagious and his mother told me it is most contagious before the rash appears. Because I have heard it is immune reaction that is possible to affect my son too, I became worried. I would like to know something more about Fifth disease and symptoms of it.

Fifth disease is especially common in children between the ages of 5 and 15. This cause producing a distinctive red rash on the face that makes the child appears to have a slapped cheek. This rash is possible to spreads to the trunk, arms, and legs. Despite being called disease, fifth disease is actually just a viral illness that majority of children will recover from. Usually it happens without any complications in a short of period of time. Fifth disease is also called erythema infectiosum, caused by parvovirus B19. It begins with a low-grade fever, headache, and mild cold like symptoms, such a stuffy or runny nose are. These symptoms usually pass and the illness seems to be gone until a rash appears a few days later. Bright red rash typically begins on the face and several days later spreads down to the trunk, arms and legs. As the centers of blotches begin to clear, the rash rakes on a lacy net-like appearance.