My son is 23 months old and I believe he may be experiencing seizures. Our first experience was when he was only 14 months old. He started vomiting followed by extreme diarhea for two days. He did not have a fever, but was very lethargic and completely lost his appetite. I had put him down to make lunch and glanced over at him to find that he was in some sort of trance. He was not breathing, eyes open, slumped over...I picked him up and started abdominal thrusts as I assumed he must be choking. Aprox. a minute in we layed him on the floor to begin CPR. His face had turned blue, purple lips and his body began to shake. Most noticable was that his arms had come up off the floor and were shaking side to side. Transported by ambulance we spent 2 days in hospital for IV rehydration. After a few test, we were told he suffered the seizure as an isolated incident caused by dehydration from gastrointeritis.
A few weeks ago he came down with an unexplained fever. He woke through the night each time his tylenol wore off. Around 630a.m. he woke us up with a terrible scream we have never heard before. His eyes were wide open, but glazed. His body was very stiff but in sort of a fetal position. I picked him up and felt that his entire body was shaking, like a strong vibration. I could not console him and he was unresponsive to any questions. At the hospital we were told that this was probably a night terror that coinsidentally happend with an unexplained fever. I was relieved until returning home and experiencing another episode. Again, he was in his bed asleep for about 45 mins. and begain crying. When I went into his room he was in a squatting position with his hands between his feet and an uncomfortable cry. I picked him up and then the screams started with the shaking again. It lasted aprox. a minute or two. He also becomes EXTREMELY hot and sweaty at the time, to the point that his hair and clothes get wet. Afterwards he is very upset and cuddly. His temperature resumes to normal and he has no detectable fever. The same day we had one more experience after he had gone to bed aprox. and hour into sleep. Both me and my husband feel that something is terribly wrong while this is happening. My oldest son had experienced about 8 mos of night terrors as a toddler and these episodes are nothing like that.
I have been closely monitoring his behaviour ever since and have also noticed periods of staring into space. It seems to last maybe a minute.
Since this all started, my son now seems to be afraid to sleep in his own bed. We have NEVER had any problems putting him to bed, he's always been quite happy about it.
What can I do about all this? What testing, if any, could be done to determine what's happing to my son?

Hi - I came across your post when I googled my son's symptoms. Your "night terror" episodes with your 23 mo old son sound very similar. Any updates?

Hi, I was searching the net to try and find out what might be happening with my daughter, and I came across your post. My daughter has had similar episodes, starting around 9 months old I think. They used to be far apart, but now have been happening a lot more. She just all of a sudden turns red and gets really sweaty, growls continuously, drools uncontrollably, and shakes and makes fists, tries to grab on to me or whatever is nearby and squeezes it, she cries nonstop, she tries to curl up or hide behind something and won't respond to me when I talk to her. Then all of a sudden (after about 20 minutes of this) she will just stop and reach for me saying "momma" like she's scared. Then when I hold her she is exhausted and won't let go. PLEASE let me know if any of this is what your son does (by the way my daughter is 25 months now). PLEASE let me know if you find out anything about what it could be! My doctor keeps telling me it's night terrors, but it happens in daytime too, and seems to be much more than that. She seems to be in pain and unable to control herself.

I had a similar story... my son (13 months old) had been sick with throwing up and diarrhea (NO FEVER THOUGH) and was taking a nap in my arms when he experienced his first seizure... we called 911 and in the ER my son experienced another seizure about 2 hours after the first... He had a CT scan, spinal tap, blood work done, xrays, etc... all came back fine. They still ruled it gastroenteritis .... we were sent home and told he probably wouldnt have anymore. BUT he experienced another seizure 4 days later. We were even ambulanced 2 hours away to a childrens hospital where they did an EEG and they told us the same diagnosis... gastroenteritis... it was really scary and it has been 3 weeks since that last seizure... they told us it probably wont happen again but we have been unsure of the diagnosis and scared to leave him alone. He will have an MRI done in about a month... My son had "Tonic Clonic seizures" similar to what you said... convulsions, turned blue etc... having a seizure without a fever is serious because there would be an underlying cause. Was your son tested for the rotovirus at that time? From the research I have done the Rotovirus CAN cause seizures with no fevers... my son was negative for that... does your son get cold sores? Cold sores can get in the spinal fluid and cause seizures... did they test his glucose and sodium levels? Sometimes when children are sick their levels drop so much they have a seizure... these are all tests that were done on my son (all were negative!!) Ask someone for a copy of all the lab reports so you can see for yourself.... (Lead also can cause seizures...) My son's pediatrician has done amazing work because he does not believe the neurologist that it is just "a stomach bug" he said "throwing up should never cause a seizure if there is no fever" We have not found a "cause" yet and we are just hoping they are all over!

did they do testing on your child? How has he been and more seizures?

hi, my son has siezures. if you want your son tested for those, you should get and MRI ans an EEG. good luck with everything

My son had a 30 minute, focal seizure a few weeks ago (on a long haul flight of all places, which was incredibly scary). All tests (CT, MRI, blood, urine and EEG) have come back normal. I have done lots of internet research and there is a well documented incidence of seizures following gastroenteritis, especially but not always, as a result of infection with Rotavirus. If you google " seizures and gastroenteritis" you will see lots of references to it, especially in Asia where most of the research seems to be coming from. The good news is, it does not cause any long term damage. However, what some of you seem to be describing is slightly different. There are lots of different types of childhood epilepsy, many of which are benign and disappear by adulthood. For example, do a search for "Benign Rolandic Epilepsy". This type typically occurs during sleep and might explain seizures at night.

I hope this helps!

OMG please go to a nuerologist same things happened with my son, it was seizures. An EEG will tell you