Hi, I have a wonderful child. He has turned three couple of months ago. Everything about him so far has gone without a problem. A week ago, I and my husband have noticed that there is something going on with him. It appears that he has tics. He is blinking excessively. What can you tell me about this problem?

Hi, you have probably nothing to worry about. Most of the tics that appear in children of your son's age are, so called, simple tics. They represent nervous mannerisms. Usually they go away on their own. Experience has taught me that children that are in the same position like your son are afraid or are worried about something. Sometimes tics occur as a result of children's need for attention. If this is the case, it would be best to find out what troubles your son. Do not pay much attention to the tics or talk to your son about them since it could make them worse. If your son's tics become more severe than you should take him to the doctor. A condition called Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome can be responsible for them. This is inheritable condition but may skip some generations. It causes tics to turn to speech problems. However, it is very rare but, anyway, it would not be such a bad idea to talk to the doctor.