I have a possible intestinal cancer in my colon and I am supposed to undergo a procedure called colonscopy. I have talked to my doctor about it and he has given me some information but some things remain unclear to me. First question and the most important one is: does it hurt, the second one is how exactly is it done and what exactly will they do down there, I know some tube is supposed to go into my bottom but I’d like some more info on that. Any useful information will be appreciated. Thanks.

I think that in your case colonscopy is absolutely needed – its one of the most reliable ways to diagnose intestinal cancer. They will probably take a biopsy sample during the procedure for further analysis in the lab. To answer your first question: it shouldn’t hurt because before they begin they will give you a sedative to help you relax. The procedure isn’t complicated at all, they will insert a bendable tube with a camera on the top of it, also other instruments can be used like small scissors for biopsy purposes. The tube and camera on it is used to observe any change in the internal lining of the intestine and to take a sample of the tissue if needed. Although the procedure is relatively safe complications like intestine perforation, problems with blood pressure and breathing can happen but you shouldn’t worry about it because those complications are very rare. You should keep in mind that you probably won’t be able to drive to or from the site of the procedure because of the sedative that will be administered so I recommend taking someone with you to take you there and to return you home. Good luck and let us know how it all went.