I am 51 years old. I have not had a period for a year. I had an episode of serios stomach cramping that they are doing tests for gall bladder, diverticulitis, or other orgin. After the violent day long cramping, I had a few days of very light spotting. My doctor recommended a entrometrial biopsy. How worried do I need to be?

Hi there! Endometrial biopsy is a safe method for the evaluation of abnormal or postmenopausal bleeding. The procedure is often performed to exclude the presence of endometrial cancer or its precursors. I think that the doctor is just trying to see what the matter is. You shouldn’t worry that much, it is just like any other exams you are having. During the procedure a small sample of the lining of the uterus will be removed and examined under a microscope for abnormal cells. Then he is going to check whether the endometrium is going through its normal stages of change during the menstrual cycle.