Hello there guys. I hope that you are doing fine. My heart failure stage is getting worse. At least, it seems that it is getting worse since my doctor told me that I am "ready" for new option in my treatment - he told me that I need to do balloon catheter (if I am not wrong with the name). I just want to know what this is (before he explains to me, and he told me that he will tell me more about it tomorrow, but I just can't wait) and can you explain its purpose? Thank you guys! 

Hey there Aurora.

Well, when something can go wrong, it will go wrong, right?

A balloon catheter is a type of " very soft" catheter with an inflatable "balloon" at its tip which is used during a catheterization procedure to enlarge a narrow opening or passage within the body. The deflated balloon catheter is positioned, then inflated to perform the necessary procedure, and deflated again in order to be removed. Have you talked to your doctor a little bit about it? Did he told you anything at all?

I know that you can’t wait to find out all, but you will have to because he is the only one who knows why you need to do this procedure.

Hello there La Yl La. 

Thank you for explaining this to me because I even didn't know why this is called balloon as well. Yes, I know that he needs to explain to me but I just can't wait tomorrow to hear what he needs to tell me and why exactly I need to do this. No, he haven't told me a thing about it. He just told me that this procedure needs to be done and that we will talk about this more.

I believe that he needs to prepare me for the surgery, right?

Any other information you have? 

Hello everyone.

This is actually the same thing such as angioplasty. As you probably already know, angioplasty is a procedure that widens a narrow or obstructed blood vessel using a balloon catheter. It is used to treat atherosclerosis (blood vessel obstructions), and usually performed by an interventional cardiologist, a medical doctor with special training in the treatment of the heart, using invasive catheter-based procedures. A balloon catheter is a thin tube and wire with a balloon on the end that is used to push plaque against the walls of a coronary artery blocked by plaque. It is used as part of a procedure called angioplasty.

Look there Aurora. It is very important not to be scared during this procedure. It is simple procedure and you could read from the previous posts what this is exactly and what is its purpose. Actually, Eric explained you everything that you need to know. When my friend needed to do this procedure, she was super scared and than her doctor explained her everything that she needs to know. After this, she was feeling much better. My point is that it is very important to have positive attitude and everything will be OK. This procedure is not that big deal at all. 

It is a very simple procedure and it is not dangerous at all. I'll try to explain this as simple as I can: your arteries are narrowed or blocked by plaque so blood can't flow fast enough through it, or not enough blood is passing through. In this case, you do angioplasty (this is the procedure's name, balloon catheter is used in this procedure). This balloon is helping to make your arteries bigger and wider so the blood can flow as it is supposed to flow.

No worries, it is a very simple procedure and you won't be needing any recovery time.

Hey everyone,

If it is of any use to you, I had this procedure done once and after that I had absolutely no other problems with my heart. They are all right when they say that this procedure is totally harmless and that you don't have to recover from it since you are going to feel just the same like you did before the procedure, you won't even feel that you have a balloon inside your artery and if anyone else tells you different, trust me, it is only in their heads.

I recommend you to have this procedure done, wish you best of luck.

I don't want to be a party breaker here but this procedure carries some risks with it.

Your arteries might re-narrow after it, blood clots can create in the artery which can cause a heart attack, that is why you will have to use some medications for this. 

There are a few big risks like a heart attack, coronary artery damage, kidney problems, stroke, and abnormal heart rhythms (or arrhythmia). All of these complications occur in rare occasions but they still happen, so they are worth of mentioning. I honestly hope that you are going to be okay and I wish you the best of luck as well.