Hi, I'm 14 years old and I have a question that I would like answered. Two months I got strong abdominal pain and cramps, started vomiting and after going to the doctor he told me that it is probably apendicitis and that I will have to have my appendix removed. And so they rushed me into the operating room and they did an operation called appendectomy and after that, and after one weeks in the hospital the pain stopped. Could someone please explain to me what did they actually do to me, what is appendix and why did it had to be removed?

Apendicitis is, like the name itself suggests, the inflammation of the appendix, the extension to your colon or the big intestine which actually doesn’t have any role in the organism. It is the leftover of the primitive intestine that is present in unborn babies and it plays an important role in baby’s intrauterine development, after the birth it loses its role and it is left as a blind tube of your caecum. It gets infected when food gets into it and starts decomposing. That causes the reaction of the organism’s immune system producing the inflammation, and of course, the pain. If appendix is not removed it can rupture and cause serious problems, the inflammation and the infection can spread on in the other parts of the intestine, and you may even die from it. Appendectomy is a fairly simple operation of removing the inflamed appendix with standard surgical procedure and there is nothing unusual about it. So your appendix probably had to be removed and you’re lucky that you had someone to remove it for you, because complications of apendicitis can be very dangerous.