I don't plan on having an abortion, but we had a debate in Speech class and one thing we had to debate was whether or not a girl under 18 should have to have her parent's consent to have an abortion.

So I was curious as to whether or not a parent or guardian had to go with the girl, if she's underage, to get an abortion?

Great question!!

In some states, parental permission is not required, so the minor can get a ride to the clinic and have the aboriton done with her own consent.

Think about this... I do not believe parental consent is a good thing at all..

If parents can fully consent to abortion, then theoretically they can also FORCE a girl to have an abortion against her will..That is not good.

A judicial bypass is currently available to allow minor teens to 'bypass' parental consent and have an abortion, and usually the individual clinic will help the woman obtain the bypass.

IF consent is required, then YES, the parent must go with the minor. BUT, a bypass can be easily obtained, and it is free.

I think that the parents should KNOW about it, but I don't think that it should be THEIR choice.

I'm 17 and i live in NYC. I'm not sure if I'm pregnant but i haven't had my period since the 3rd week of august and i had unprotected (you don't need to tell me, i know it was stupid) sex on September 9. If i don't get my period by Friday, (September 31st) is it to early to do a pregnancy test? and if its a turn for the worst, can i get abortion without my parents consent? some other details like where and the probable cost would help ease my mind a lot. Thanks !