My baby is 7 weeks old and we start having some issues with her napping around 5 weeks. Before the 5 week mark, she was frequently going down for 30 minute power naps, then early afternoon would sleep for 2-3 hours.

Recently it seems that as soon as she hits a change in her sleeping cycle (going into REM sleep)...she wakes up. Leaving her only with 4 or 5 30 minute naps every day. Then around the 6 o'clock hour, she is soo overtired and will finally go down for a few hours. The only problem with that is that we usually always have to wake her up to get ready to go back to bed for the night...!

Her night-time sleeping, though, is and has always been awesome! When she was first born, we would have to wake her up after 5 hours to eat. Once she was 9lbs, we were told we wouldn't have to wake her anymore.....and she consistently sleeps 8-9 hours each night.

I know I got really lucky that she sleeps sooo well at night, but it bothers me when she refuses to sleep during the day. I really do hate having to rely on the swing to finally get her to the point where she can take a good nap.

I've tried swaddling her in the afternoon, warm milk, putting her completely to sleep before laying her down, putting her down while she's still awake...but barely (she will actually fall asleep sometimes....but I do not let her cry herself to sleep).

Maybe my issue is that she has too many beds. She sleeps in a bassinet in our room at night. And we have a play-yard bassinet downstairs where she usually goes down for the powernaps. I've slowly been trying to get her to go down in her own crib. When all that fails...then it's swing time.

I'm really curious to know how much sleep a 7 week old actually needs...and what I can do to help her napping..!

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!