Hello! I am a Canadian resident and I would like to know what the maternity benefits available by the Canadian government law are. My husband and I are planning to start a family, but not before I know my rights about the financial help I can get during my maternity absence. Is there anybody who has any information on the topic! I would appreciate any info! Thx

Hi there! I know a little bit as my wife and I have been thinking about the same thing. We haven’t got pregnant yet, but are still working on it, and the preparations are being made. In Canada, maternity benefits are payable to the mother for a maximum of 15 weeks. To receive maternity benefits you are required to have worked for 600 hours in claim. You have to prove all of this and your pregnancy by signing a statement declaring the expected due or actual date of birth. If your baby is hospitalized, then the benefits should be extended for every week your child is in the hospital up to 52 weeks — following the week of the child's birth. This is a little bit about the topic in general. There are always some buts and ifs, but if you have any questions, you may called Employment Insurance and ask what you would like to know. It is actually an automated telephone information service at 1 800 206-7218 that works from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm but you can speak to a representative by pressing “0“.

Whoever posted the 15 weeks as Maternity leave in Canada is not doing their research.

To receive the benefits in Canada you must have worked for the 26 weeks prior to applying for the benefits. You are legally entitled to 52 weeks of paid maternity leave at 60% of your gross income to a maximum of $416/week. In addition, the 52 weeks can be split with your partner for PATERNAL leave for a total leave of 52 weeks.

Do your research before posting bollocks and sending people into panic...

Hi, there , I am working full time and have no medical coverage in Canada. I have been waiting for two years and now my wife wants to try for a second baby. I need to buy some afordable maternity health insurance. My wife doesn't work.
Please, assist me in this regards.

Best regards,

Ikhan