Hi. I study medicine and I wanted to know more about hip dysplasia. Although it’s rare disease, I was wondering if you can tell me how it can be prevented especially on small babies. Is it possible that we do something and cause hip dysplasia because I’ve heard that in some areas it is more common than in others?

As far as I can tell, it is very difficult to prevent something the cause of which is still quite elusive. Also, it is well known that in cultures that practice infant swaddling and using cradle boards to carry their babies, the incidence of hip dysplasia is very high. But, it is also interesting that cultures that carry their babies astride the mother’s backs have a low incidence of hip dysplasia. What can we do to prevent hip dysplasia? Prevention includes proper prenatal care which is important for us to determine the position of the baby in the womb. If we avoid excessive and prolonged infant hip adduction may help prevent strain on the hip joints. Important part of prevention of congenital hip dysplasia is early diagnosis.