Hi there! :D
This is my first day on this site and my first post. I live in Wisconsin and have been running since February. I started on the treadmill in the gym and did not run outside until late June. Now, as the weather turns cold, I have questions about running outdoors. I am determined to keep at it, even though I despise cold weather.
So, tell me. What do you wear -- and in what order do you add layers -- tops first, bottoms first. And what are some good brands of warm running gear to buy for cold weather.
Any suggestions will be fantastic!
Faith

Here's one guy's take on it.

And welcome to the forums!!!

Is it just me or are we getting dairy state heavy again??

First of all, welcome!

I'm from Louisiana, so I really don't know anything about cold weather.
I'd say move to a warmer climate... but if that's not feasible, wait on some of the other Wisconsin people to reply.

Welcome to the boards! I'm in Texas, so I have tons of info about cold weather... (hey, we even had an ice storm last year)

I love anything coolmax (or dri-fit, what ever wicking material is called) Don't laugh, because I know this is not cold to you (I grew up in the Mid-West), but when it hits the 20's here, I prefer tights, a cool max shirt, and some type of fleece top. (not to mention a hat or ear muffs) The rule of thumb that I've heard is to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer.

I'm sure some of the others from the frozen tundra will have great info. Let me know when you need info on running in the blazing heat.

Long sleeve coolmax and a jacket for me.

Thorlo socks

Heavy duty tights.

Most importantly for me was the gloves. Cold hands always ruined runs for me.

I live in a moderate climate where my biggest enemy is ground ice / freezing rain rather than low temps.

I tried to find a (non-camouflage) face mask last year and ended up getting a fleece gaiter instead. I pulled it up around my mouth whenever I got the "freezing lungs" sensation. I'd still rather have a facemask so I don't have to use an itchy earband, too. :)

And "Amen!" to wicking materials -- marvelous technology for which I am daily thankful. I'm getting some good gloves this year, too. I hate the sweaty paws!

Treadmills are a nice option in the winter, but I love the stillness in the morning when no one else is out -- 'cause we runners are foo's!

Well, being a fellow Wisconite, I may be of help.

I where shorts and a t-shirt. Sometimes, no shirt at all! Okay, okay, I run on my treadmill all Winter... :?

Faith welcome!!! I too live in wisconsin and have braved the frigid winter weather last winter. You will find winter running will take a lot of mental toughness but the rewards are incredible. The confidence you gain will really help you with your running, at least it did me. I have one word for you as far as clothes go, Layers and lots of them. The real trick is knowing how many layers to put on for a given day and that is something that you will have to workout for yourself! Below is what I used and I would just layer up as the weather dictated. The links are there to give you a picture of what I refering too. Be sure to shop around as you can get some great deals. Bottoms: Lifa thermals as a base layer A thermal tight as a mid layer A wind/water proof pant for an outer layer I even bought some heavy wieght thermal bottoms (all polyester, no cotton!) for those blustery days Tops An Under Armor or other similar base layer A thermal top with a high collar and zipper incase I get too warm A highly visible jacket, I like illuminite for this Others Gloves are a must for me I also prefer an ear band over a hat I hope that helps! if you have any other questions please let me know! Paul

also....if you live in a windy area...plan your run to go "into it" at the beginning and have it at your back at the end.

treadmill
shorts and shirt

otherwise what everyone else said

Long Sleeve tee and tights for me (granted I live in Florida so that is the most I usually need!)

I recommend the long sleeve technical running shirts
Add a fleece top if it gets colder
A tuque or some sort of hat will be good on those cold days
I usually wear shorts even on the coldest days (well in Vancouver, winters are relatively mild) but running tights are the best option for such conditions- I'm getting mine in 2 weeks.

Me too, for some reason I can never keep my hands warm. I do love running in the winter, for me a good pair of techinal running pants, long sleeve coolmax and a windproof jacket and I am usually fine. Though S.E. Michigan winters probably arent as extreme in some areas, it still gets pretty chilly.
One of the best runs I love is when there is about, 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground and still snowing, its awesome!!!!
Jon

Is there anything special about running gloves? What exactly am I looking for when I buy gloves?

I would look for a non-cotton glove. I bought some nice "technical" base layer gloves at the local sporting goods store for about $5. They are great, even with they get sweaty and freeze 8O my hands are still warm.