Hello, I am a 17 year old boy. And i have this itching problem that occurs in winter tim ONLY.

Ok so everytime in winter when i am about to do a activity (Boxing, basketball, running, etc..) my skin starts to itch very painfully, its mostly all over my upper body and legs. It is really really painful, it feels like someone is poking me with thousands of needles all over my body. But once I get sweaty it goes away. Sweating makes it go away. And now i have started feeling that the itching attack creates small little white pimple looking things all over my body. Once i get sweaty they go away as well.

Lately i noticed it starts even if i m sitting in a classroom. For example when i get confused, or nervouse of something my body start heating up and it ceates the itch andi cant get sweaty in class, so i really have to try my best to annoy it, usually it goes away after couple mins when i cool down. But its not like a one time thing, it haappens to me veytime i m in those kida conditions (nervouse, heatin up etc...) Whch is part of everyday's life.

In summer everything is perfectly fine because its easy to get sweaty in summer and you dont really have to do anything to get sweaty.

Someone please help, its been 3 years now. And it feels like i only lived have of that because every winter this thing happends and i cant do activities or go out or anything like that. Even mowing hte lawn becomes a problem in winter.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Even a name of a medicine or cream or anything that will make me sweat easy would be awesome. Because sweating is the only thing that makes it go away Its really really bad.

-Mirror

thats really weird. I get the exact same issue and everybody thinks i'm losing my mind. I have no idea what it is and my mom keeps telling me it is dry skin. Lotion does help ease it down a bit and make it a little less painful.

wow i got the same exaact thing..very annoying..

I am the same way. If i get a little hot it starts happening to me. I strt getting reely itchy all over and there is nothing I can do about it. Alot of people have told me it is because I dont have enough water in my body and my skin is dry. Noone can seem to figure out what is causing it.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I've struggled with many forms of this and dry skin in winter and through my own testing I discovered for me that when I get that pin-prick feeling it's because my body needs more magnesium. Once I take a supplement of that I no longer have the problem for a day or so which means I need to start taking that supplement regularly for a while to rebalance the magnesium levels in my body.
Don't know if this will help but trying it cant' hurt.
Good luck to you.

erythromyalgia. my brother was diagnosed with that by a dermatologist. he calls them "hot things" and when he gets hot or nervous or irritated he gets hot, gets hives, and his blood vessels dialate. i'm not sure what they did for him but it seems to help

well in my case its basically the same thing i get itchy when i get nervous or when im hot and what takes it away is sweating but i have also noticed that the sun also affects me when im in the shadows its nice and cool but once the suns rays hit me OH GOD!! i get an itch attack ...this really sucks when im in my class due to that when i look at a girl that i like i get sometimes nervous and thats when the itching attack comes so either i try to ignore it or sometimes its just to much that i walk out of the class and go to the restroom and scratch for like 10 minutes its so anoying ......if anyone knows of a solution please posted up...thank you

I also have experienced what you've described for the past two winters (24 yr old male).

I get that feeling of "a thousand needles" and pruritis all over my upper trunk/extremities upon exertion or whenever I begin to get nervous. I also only have this problem during the fall/winter months. Exercising does seem to help alleviate my symptoms but its very difficult for me to break a sweat when its freezing outside.

I really can't seem to figure out what is going on. I read somewhere on the internet that it could be due to an excess of citric acid in the diet (and that the sweat glands might be secreting this therefore causing the burning and pruritis). I put myself on a 3 week citric acid free diet but it didn't seem to help. If anyone has any insight as to what could be wrong (ex/whether its something in our diet, vitamin deficiency/excess, whether its pathologic, etc.) then please let us know.

PS I might consider the magnesium supplementation that Canuwrite suggested...can't hurt to try.

hi guys i have the same problem i found going to the sauna helped soooo much. Moisturizing the skin helps too but my best suggestion is sauna.Ivt seemed to make my body soo cool after i went regularly and instead of feeling warm i felt great! i have this problem for over 4 years and finally discovered what helps me.

I too have the same problem for the last three WINTERS ONLY........ :'( (DURING SUMMER THERE IS NO PROBLEM ANY WAY) :-)
The itching starts whenever I feel excited, if I stay for say one minute under the winter sun, if I feel a little sexually excited from inside, it also effects me whenever I get angry during winters.
My main problem is that I don't sweat a drop during winters.
I intake lot of waters during winters to test if water help but all in vain as it doesn't. >:(
Also during nite The heat of the blanket sometimes spoils away my sleep as It becomes very hot and I strat itching myself around 2 -3 am during the night. >:(
I cannot work during winters as any physical work reckons up these symptoms and I just end up being the laughing stock admits all NORMAL peoples. :'(
Its irritating, harrashing, even it sometimes makes me feel to kill myself.... !
Plz help I AM DYING.... :-| :-)

I too have the same problem and symptoms all of you have described, it started when i was about 13 and has remained with me all my life ( i am 37 years old). At first it really bothered me a lot, but when i went into high school the only thing i could do was that i had to make sure i had sweated before going anywhere. If i was going to school i tried making enough exercise in an enclosed area like a bathroom to start a good sweat. any one time exercise was enough to get me through the day, but if it was really cold and my body cooled down enough then i had to do it all over again if say i was to go out at night. It helped me a lot also in the sense that i was in very good shape also in those days. Nowadays i don't worry that much about it and if it happens i just try to live with it. It would be nice if there was something that could be done....PC

Ok i hope this helps cuz i get the same pins n needles feelin in winter as well. i think its dry skin...the cold dry air dries your skin out more than usual but in summer the humidity helps. i live in wisconsin so i get it all.
anyways my personal solution was every time i get out of the showe each morning i put liberal amounts of lotion on my legs, chest, n back right after i dry off so my skin is a lil moist which helps absorption. that took this feeling away n i could tell if i didnt put enough lotion somewhere cuz then that part only would get painfully itchy.
hope this helps...i know it works 100% for me.

Its good to know im not alone on this..i used to think i was the only one who knew what this was like which sucked because i also hold back from doing any physical activity in the winter besides skiing. I am 18 now and have suffered from the itchy hell for at least five years now. Only when it starts to get cold does it come back. It goes away when i start to sweat but i don't like putting up with the 5 or so minutes of hell before i begin to sweat. I have found that keeping my skin very clean, and rubbing my body with anti itch cream helps a bit. Moisturizing doesn't help very much, and will even make it worse sometimes because of the oily residue left behind from the moisturizer clogs pores. I have been to a dermatologist and my regular doctor, both of which have no idea what it is. The sauna idea is a good idea, because it seems once my pores are used to sweating the itching goes away for a day or so and i can sweat. Maby we should just all move as close to the equator as possible and sweat year round without worrying about itching our skin off. =)

I have the exact same thing and have been battling it for several years.
I found that it's a LOT worse when I have hot showers, so try lower the temperature when you jump in the shower next time and see if this helps.
Also, applying a sensitive skin lotion (vaseline based etc) free of perfumes and soap after your shower helps quite a bit.
Try washing your face with cool water when the 'itch attacks' occur - not sure what this does but it seems to reduce the itching almost immediately.
I also use a dry anti-perspirant deoderant rather then the liquid mist sprays, these are FULL of perfumes etc which dry out the skin something chronic.

These attacks are due to dry irritated skin and usually occur just before one starts to sweat. Keeping your fluids up by drinking lots of water and avoiding high sodium foods/drinks also reduces these attacks.

It's all about the skin, the more moist it is - the less you will experience these itching attacks.

Guys iv ben suffering for about a decade now with the winter itch. im 24 and i em looking for help on this issue. The only real insight i have is last year i joined my local Boxing club and started to train for fights i would drink tones of water and i would sweat profusely in my training i noticed that for that year i didnt get the itch, i mean not even once that i can remeber. well sure inuf its winter again and i dont train right now due to a new born son and the god dam itch is back im telling you if i dont find a remedy for this im moving to a city with no winter or im going to becum a profesional Boxer any thing will help i have good benifits through my work il go to the doc's and see what he gots to say i will chalenge him if he dosn't have a solid solution because this is rediculous its almost 2010 and doctors should be top of the line with sh*t il keep you all posted if i get good results. P.S hang in there gaing