I've been on Aciphex for about 8 months and have gained 25lbs! I am not happy about it. Has anyone else experienced this?
I also have some other symptoms that I'm not sure about. Lightheaded easily, wierd dizziness randomly, back of throat goes numb randomly, suddenly not feeling legs-usually goes away quickly, heart palpitations randomly. Again, has anyone else had these? Is it the Aciphex, or could it be something else?

Hi. I began taking aciphex in September 2005. Originally it was just for overproduction of acid that had not yet turned into GERD. Between Sept. 05 and now (May 08) I have gained 27 lbs. I’m not happy AT ALL. I would have rather dealt with the reflux. I tried to go off of aciphex and began getting nausea, dizzy and constant lightheadedness. I don’t experience the numbness in my throat but I do have a tendency to clear my throat constantly and get soar throats. The doc said that is just from the GERD and then doubled my aciphex dosage to twice a day. Once he did that I gained 10 more lbs. When I asked him about it he said that the GERD can cause you to crave carbs and that is the weight gain result. I don’t know what it is but I’m getting frustrated looking for the answer. If I don’t stop I’m going to be severely overweight. Does anyone know of an alternative to aciphex?

I'm in my 20s and I've been taking Aciphex off and on for a about a year,antibiotics when I need them. Haven't taken Aciphex since May 08. Last year I went to the doctors twice and the hospital once for my throat going numb. It goes away but its kinda scary, apparently the doctors didn't think it was a big deal. But back in April of this year my throat went numb again, my voice went hoarse too and I went to the doctors again no big deal. I haven't had a problem recently with my throat, but my arm went numb on me one night at the end of April or early May , and the problems haven't ended. I've gained 20-30 lbs of water the doctors say. I had Ehrlichiosis which i just got off the antibiotics last week but problems still there. Heres the other problems. My forearm muscles are tight, tense almost all the time, my wrists are alittle tense and my hands and fingers are tense and feel very fat most of the time. My neck burns sometimes down to my shoulder blade. My heart also pounds at times, I can feel it. My legs are so fat, I've never been like this. I just had my 4th series of blood tests. so far everything is fine aside of the Ehrlichiosis, still waiting for the last results though. I've had carpal tunnel tests they are negative. My next step is rheumatoid special list but from what I've seen my symptoms don't look like the rheumatoid diseases. The doc said it could be the Ehrlichiosis but he is not sure yet. Anyone had anything like this?

Sophiebear wrote:

I am also very, very unhappy about the weight I have gained in the past month(10lbs.) due to my Aciphex use! If I continue to use Aciphex I fear that I will be extremely overweight! I am also looking for an alternative. As soon as I find some useful info. I will let you know. Hang in there.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use