I was diagnosed with graves and hyperthyroidsm,,, i had my thyroid removed and started to feel a little better, tyring to control my levels has been hard, going to get blood work done every other week....

my issue is that i have not been able to control my weight gain ever since the surgery,,,, i go up however no matter what i do, i cut down on my food intake, stopped the junk food, take a walk for a mile or 2 every day with my dog... poor thing looks at me like im crazy and nothing i got on the scale again yesterday and gained another 2 pounds.... has anyone had this problem and how on earth do you stop the weight gain...

Hi Dolores,
I had my Grave's corrected last August with radioactive iodine, surgery was not an option according to my endocrinologist. Anyway, I saw him for the third time Thursday and found that my TSH levels are within normal. During our discussion I brought up my problem with fluid retention, that I think is a major contributor to my wieght gain but he's not sold on the idea, and weight gain. Since August I've gained 30 lbs; there were times I gained 5 lbs over the course of 2 days! The endo tells me I'm rather "unusual" in this instance but I've heard a few people have complained about gaining quite a bit of weight--which I would assume is more than the 5-10 lbs the different endo websites list. Now that my energy levels rae returning, I joined a gym to try to deal with this. I'm still have huge sugar cravings that I'm going to have to deal with; my previous attempts have all failed but I'm hoping that was due, at least in part, by my low thyroid function. Good luck to you; it's nice to know I'm not alone and not such an odd case.