I am suffering from chronic back pain. I am 39 years old, male. I am on pain relievers for years. I wasn't much for alternative medicine, but my doctor recently suggested acupuncture. Is acupuncture safe? Will it really help for my back pain? I would also like to know how it works, anyone.

Acupuncture is one of the most time-tested treatments known to mankind, but nonetheless, we still do not know why acupuncture works, how it works best, and for who it is best used. Many patients consider acupuncture as a very effective treatment for many different symptoms. These symptoms include pain from a variety of causes, as well as back pain. I have friends who treated nausea, smoking cessation, problems with addiction, inflammatory conditions, possibly even anxiety and depression...all with acupuncture. My advice to you is: do it!